iBus support to write Chinese in LibreOffice

Discuss a HowTo.

Moderator: How-to Curator

iBus support to write Chinese in LibreOffice

Postby jheaton5 » February 9th, 2014, 10:54 pm

jheaton5

Re: iBus support to write Chinese in LibreOffice

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 10th, 2014, 3:49 am

An interesting and simple fix, but leaves me wondering. Open and LibreOffice are probably the only applications I have ever used that handle SCIM and Ibus input without problem. It is everything else I have had to tinker with. On the technical side, libreoffice-gtk should be included with LibreOffice. Meaning this fix should not be necessary, but as we all know, reality creates interesting situations. It is good you discovered this tweak.

Now to get really technical. :twisted:
Kanji is not Chinese. It is the Japanese term for Chinese characters, especially those used by the Japanese.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby polaris96 » May 6th, 2014, 11:01 pm

ummm... it's not that I don't believe you, but the clients in question are Taiwanese immigrants. I mentioned the "Kanji" thing to them and they shrugged and said, "Maybe. We all just call it kanji" Bear in mind these were the people who wanted nothing to do with Simplified Chinese....

So I guess I'll keep calling it Kanji ;)
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also please visit old friends at forums.debian.net
polaris96

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » May 7th, 2014, 4:15 am

We all just call it kanji
This is probably the reason.
the clients in question are Taiwanese immigrants
It is easier to use names the locals know. North Americans know sensei, but use the term si-fu and see what happens. North Americans (and Europeans?) know many Japanese terms and apply them to all east Asian languages and cultures.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Return to HowTo Discussion