Discuss: AnX11 Phone Project

Discuss a HowTo.

Moderator: How-to Curator

Re: Discuss: Sven-Ola's Debian Kit for Android

Postby SoulSingin » August 7th, 2013, 7:00 am

FretfulMother wrote:tightvncserver

Have you tried RDP yet? Unlike VNC, it only provides access to the Debian desktop (not the Android system), but -- in my view -- that's an advantage. Because it bypasses the Android screen, RDP can project your phone's desktop across your full computer screen, so that you can type a document and take a phone call at the same time. Check it out. . ;)
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 7th, 2013, 5:04 pm

SoulSingin wrote:
FretfulMother wrote:tightvncserver

Have you tried RDP yet? Unlike VNC, it only provides access to the Debian desktop (not the Android system), but -- in my view -- that's an advantage. Because it bypasses the Android screen, RDP can project your phone's desktop across your full computer screen, so that you can type a document and take a phone call at the same time. Check it out. . ;)

I first tried vnc, as i slightly know it.
After that i wanted to access RDP. I started debian with
deb x
and it informed me RDP would have been started.
I opened RDP Lite, and after giving my info, i got a "broken link".
I tried as root and as user (in RDP) with both: localhost and 127.0.0.1
I didn't configure debian much (yet), for example i got no sudo set up.
I am at it (exactly at that problem, RDP, which i planned to try again this night).
In general i would like to access debian on the phone from the phone (be it with RDP or VNC).

I don't seem to be able to give a short answer ... :-)

---
Another problem i am at is that i would want to access the data of the phone (sdcard) from debian, and the data of debian/home from the android.
I think i can access debian /home as soon i ran "deb".
Why? Well: i wouldn't want to store the music (which is quite some) twice and running "deb" with full path, for me, is a bit of trouble.

---
Oh, and being able to access the shell history (for both, debian and android shell) would be awesome.
I only run a couple of commands, say 5-10, and even an arrow-key to scroll through history would speed me up enorm(ous? ousely? you got the idea).
FretfulMother

Postby SoulSingin » August 9th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Sorry for the slow response.

FretfulMother wrote:i got no sudo set up

Many Debian users (including my former self) will accuse me of blasphemy for saying this, but sudo enhances security in this environment.

FretfulMother wrote:as soon i ran "deb"

That's the way I was accessing the Debian system too. So let's be honest: . dropping straight into a root shell and then running su -l soul, is not the best way to access your user account. A better way to connect is to run (the equivalent of) ssh -p 22 soul@127.0.0.1 in Connectbot.

Connectbot will then prompt you to enter soul's password. ... Far better than the password-free access to root that you get when you run the su or deb command in an Android shell.

Ideally, an init script would run the deb s and deb x commands at boot, but my Android phone does not have a /system/etc/init.d/ directory that I could simply drop a script into and appending commands to the bottom of the available init scripts has not worked (at least not on my system).

FretfulMother wrote:i would like to access debian on the phone from the phone (be it with RDP or VNC).

Work with RDP. It makes magic happen.

FretfulMother wrote:i would want to access the data of the phone (sdcard) from debian, and the data of debian/home from the android.

I did cover that way down deep in the HowTo. Give me a day or so to improve the layout and I'll give you a link to that topic. In the meantime, take a look at the "Setting up your workspace" section.

Keep playing! Keep having fun!
- soul
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 9th, 2013, 6:52 pm

The problem is that rdp doesn't make it happen for me. I get the "broken link", and there i am stuck. I tried all possible settings (which, like said, work if i do it from a remote devise like a laptop).
FretfulMother

Postby ehesh » January 25th, 2014, 4:34 am

i have a question? is this kit better than complete linux installer? in what way is it or not better? what are the main diferences does this chroot, can i set it up to autoboot alongside android on startup?

i apologyse for my bad english, i really apreciate the tutorial, thankyou :D
ehesh

Postby fery13013 » February 21st, 2014, 6:11 pm

HI for everybody!
Perhaps can help me somebody here, because I don't know, what to do:
I've installed the debian kit on my asus TF700, as describe by Sven-Ola.
I also red this
http://www.doviak.net/

I can start and stop the openssh server and also the rdp server.

I can connect via openssh from my desktop, it's fine.
But I can't use to connect by rdp and so I can't use the LXDE.
When I try to connect, I receive allways a message in the window,... error, not connected.

I also tried to start the tightvncserver, but it's not possible, it doesn't fined any fonts...

Please help me!
fery13013

Postby fery13013 » March 31st, 2014, 9:06 am

HI for everybody!
Nobody answer the questions? I'm very sorry....
I have the problem still.
Now can I connect via rdp to the lxde, but I see only an empty screen...
fery13013

Postby dotpointer » August 4th, 2014, 5:41 pm

First of all, this is my first post here, so I hope it's ok to respond to this thread (it's from february 2014, so I'll take a chance here - it seems to be the right thread).

Today I have successfully installed Sven Ola's Debian Kit 1.5 on the Samsung GT-i8190N / Android 4.1.2. I have installed it on a separate ext4 partition of the external SD card. Phone is rooted.

It works quite well and I have managed to get into LXDE and installed a few debian applications.

It's quite nice to have a running Debian system in my pocket. The integration between Android and Debian is quite neat too.

Some things are frustrating though;

- It does not auto-start. I have to open a ssh localhost connection on the phone and issue deb. Can I make Android run deb at start of the phone?

- deb command (bootdeb) does not start normal debian services - eg. does not make use of /etc/init.d.

I have edited /etc/data/local/deb/bootdeb to run some services, like cron, fuse, but it does not feel right, and Leafpad in LXDE cannot open files on network resources as some service other than fuse+samba is not started

- It does not shut down properly, every time I restart the phone and issue deb it checks the journal of the fs.

I did not go for 1.6 of the kit as it was testing. Are these fixed in 1.6?
dotpointer

Postby SoulSingin » November 25th, 2014, 2:22 pm

dotpointer wrote:I hope it's ok to respond to this thread (it's from february 2014, so I'll take a chance here - it seems to be the right thread).

It's OK to respond, but I haven't visited this forum lately. Sorry for the slow response.

dotpointer wrote:- It does not auto-start. I have to open a ssh localhost connection on the phone and issue deb. Can I make Android run deb at start of the phone?

Sure, but you have to replace your phone's initramfs. I have not tried it, but Mikael Kuisma posted instructions.

dotpointer wrote:I did not go for 1.6 of the kit as it was testing. Are these fixed in 1.6?

I'm planning to give this project a new life. I'll keep you posted.
SoulSingin

Re: Discuss: AnX11 Phone Project

Postby SoulSingin » October 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm

SoulSingin wrote:I'm planning to give this project a new life.

I have finally had a chance to update this project. Improvements in Android security make it difficult to run Debian outside of a chroot, so I have adapted Sven-Ola's "Debian Kit" to the changed Android environment. My fork of his work is called d4cm.

The differences between my work and Sven-Ola's original work are described at the "about the d4cm scripts" page.

You can download the d4cm installer from my website.

Have fun!
- Soul Singin'
SoulSingin

PreviousNext

Return to HowTo Discussion