Discuss: AnX11 Phone Project

Discuss a HowTo.

Moderator: How-to Curator

Re: Discuss: Sven-Ola's Debian Kit for Android

Postby SoulSingin » August 5th, 2013, 2:37 am

FretfulMother wrote:On the laptop i run: ssh root@<ip-of-smartphone>
and if i now enter a typical debian command, for example
apt-cache policy openssh-server
i can run it (hence am running debian, not android via ssh-droid, i guess?).

If you set up a root password during the Debian installation, then: "Yes. It sounds like you SSH'd into the Debian installation."

FretfulMother wrote:Now it get's more confusing:
I run:
exit
and am still on the android, still on debian.
If i enter a second exit i am back on the laptop.

Set the $PS1 prompts in your ~/.bashrc files, then it will always be clear which user you are running as.

FretfulMother wrote:PS: I tried to remount rw, but that didn't help neither (perhaps as i was already on debian, i am quite sure i did it from ssh from the laptop).

You may have to issue the remount command as Android root. That's what worked for me. I did not attempt it as Debian root. Are they the same? Is it safe to mount an Android partition with Debian tools? ... I should find the answers to those questions.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 5th, 2013, 1:29 pm

I should find the answers to those questions.

If yes, and for all other hints you give, i am happy, but take it easy:
I am not disappointed or complaining, i just give feedback (about debian-on-android) the way i run along.
Probably as i am a chatty one (never that sure why i post something).
I really am a beginner when it comes to android, i don't know how to do stuff and, worse, much about the filesystem.
andromize-lxde finished during the night (exited with an error, but anyway) and i will later check if i can get anywhere with that.
It is still a simple test run, fooling with it, and i plan to get more serious later (get me a bigger SD-card and install on the SD-card second partition instead of a loop).
Next will be the ftp-over-usb-via-adb, to get the head into adb, then back trying to get a vnc or rdp to the laptop.

FretfulMother

Postby SoulSingin » August 5th, 2013, 5:08 pm

FretfulMother wrote:thanks :-)

Have fun! I'm playing with Pinheiro's Blue Curl theme to give both systems a unified look. ... (distraction from productive work). Let me know what you think.

Image.
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 5th, 2013, 10:48 pm

A little tip from me. It assumes two things:
a) you are, like me, bad with the keyboard on the android and
b) for you the adb-method described here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2509
fails for you
(i don't know why it fails for me and am at it).

Use screen.
Once you have debian installed (either as loop or on a separate partition), run "deb" in a connectbot local session to get into your debian environment and install screen
Code: Select all
apt-get install screen

start screen
screen

and now run
screen -ls

to get the name of the screen session. Example:
# screen -ls                           
There is a screen on:                   
        18357.pts-1.localhost   (08/05/1
3 22:20:24)     (Attached)             
1 Socket in /var/run/screen/S-root.

#

and start ssh-droid on the android too.

From a real PC/laptop/etc do
ssh root@<ip-of-android>
to connect via ssh to the android debian session (for me that works automatically, as long i already ran "deb" in connectbot) and connect to the running screen session (by using the name you got above by "screen -ls"
screen -x 18357.pts-1.localhost

I now can run commands at the speed of a real keyboard, from the laptop, without getting any errors (which, without screen, i did get).

To exit screen just run "exit".
If you got a long running command (say apt-get install andromize-lxde) just detach from the screen session on the laptop:
str+a +d (for detach, duh)
and you can let the session run on the android, but shut the PC/laptop/whatever down. Later do the same like above (screen -x name-of-session).

For more comfort (easy usage) you could use byobu.

End note: just a workaround for possible problems.
FretfulMother

Postby SoulSingin » August 6th, 2013, 1:23 am

FretfulMother wrote:A little tip from me. It assumes two things:
a) you are, like me, bad with the keyboard on the android and

If you're in the market for a new phone, look for one with a slip-out keyboard. Pairing it with a Bluetooth mouse gives you the feel of a real desktop computer. I bought Verizon's most unpopular phone (the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere II, specs: SCH-I415) and I love it. With the slip-out keyboard and Bluetooth mouse, I am almost as productive on the phone as I am on my desktop computer and the only reason why I'm less productive on the phone is because I have to type with two thumbs (as opposed to eight fingers).

FretfulMother wrote:ssh root@<ip-of-android>
to connect via ssh to the android debian session

Cool. ... Quick question: Did you install OpenSSH server in your phone's Debian? If so, you should be able to login to your phone without starting SSH Droid. Specifically, you should be able to run deb s (on your phone) and then start an SSH session on your desktop computer with: ssh -p 22 soul@192.168.0.100
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 6th, 2013, 1:49 am

SoulSingin wrote:[

FretfulMother wrote:ssh root@<ip-of-android>
to connect via ssh to the android debian session

Cool. ... Quick question: Did you install OpenSSH server in your phone's Debian? If so, you should be able to login to your phone without starting SSH Droid. Specifically, you should be able to run deb s (on your phone) and then start an SSH session on your desktop computer with: ssh -p 22 soul@192.168.0.100

I didn't install openssh-server. But i read it in one of your how-to's, perhaps this one, checked, and it already was installed :-)
I didn't know i could omit ssh-droid in that case.

Something like the shot you gave would help me a lot (even hackerkeyboard, right?, would help me, but my screen is too small). - ah: slipout-keyboard
After the last 2 days i am getting a little bit better with the smartphones keyboard, but a real keyboard is .... well: good.
If all this works well i might have a look at a (cheap) android tablet (here they are sold for ca 100 Euros) -though for now i got a lot of fun with the phone (and it was a real cheap one, i think 70 Euros at ebay. HTC Tatoo, android2, you got the idea).
Finally something i can do with a smartphone.

btw: Do you mind if i mention the how-to at social networks? twitter and diaspora come to mind (if no, i can imagine more than just one reason).

-
holy shit, this evening i ssh'ed between laptop, smartphone, server (sshfs music to the) and raspberry (to play music, and it was broken) all the time. no surprise i am down now. I seldom ssh between more than two boxes at one given time. But ssh'ing to android and installing debian: how leet is that? :-)
FretfulMother

Postby SoulSingin » August 6th, 2013, 2:32 am

FretfulMother wrote:holy shit, this evening i ssh'ed between laptop, smartphone, server (sshfs music to the) and raspberry (to play music, and it was broken) all the time. no surprise i am down now. I seldom ssh between more than two boxes at one given time. But ssh'ing to android and installing debian: how leet is that? :-)

:lol:

FretfulMother wrote:btw: Do you mind if i mention the how-to at social networks? twitter and diaspora come to mind (if no, i can imagine more than just one reason).

Please do. I'll post some more documentation soon, but for now feel free to link to the HowTo, this discussion and/or my screenshots. Most importantly, be sure to give Sven-Ola credit for his work!
SoulSingin

Postby FretfulMother » August 6th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Done (twitter and diaspora).

More about rdp (or problems with it) later. Getting better with it.
FretfulMother

Postby FretfulMother » August 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Whew.
Success. Glory. Fame ... :-)

I was able to:
install the debian-kit on a second partition of the sdcard of the android
install andromize-lxde
deb to open debian and install tightvncserver
start it and open it from the laptop:

berserker android? Tell me about it.

again: really great how-to, SoulSinging. I'd never been able to figure out all of that on my own or via searching the web.
FretfulMother

Postby SoulSingin » August 6th, 2013, 11:18 pm

FretfulMother wrote:Whew.
Success. Glory. Fame ... :-)

Rock 'n' Roll !!! . :D

FretfulMother wrote:again: really great how-to, SoulSinging. I'd never been able to figure out all of that on my own or via searching the web.

It was my pleasure. . ;)
SoulSingin

PreviousNext

Return to HowTo Discussion