Wheezy B43 firmware

Discuss a HowTo.

Moderator: How-to Curator

Re: Wheezy B43 firmware

Postby cynwulf » May 24th, 2013, 12:36 pm

jheaton5 wrote:Success. Thanks.

Excellent.
FretfulMother wrote:I got a broadcom, 4213, and i will test it as soon as possible.

I assume you mean the BCM4312? It uses the b43 module (and associated modules), but with the firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (for LP-PHY devices - no idea what they are) for getting the correct firmware.

More info: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
FretfulMother wrote:I got no problems (probably cause i am running Sid? Well: from the top of my head i don't know which driver i use. Perhaps that).
In short i only wanted to thank for the how-to. I got it in my mind, but am busy these days, so i won't try it anytime soon
(well: it seems already confirmed that it works perfectly, so there is no stress).

If you're running unstable you should already have the newer firmware - so all should be well.
FretfulMother wrote:debchange (dch)? Weird and not easy to understand, but very leet :-) Perhaps the discussion of julian and Soul should be copied, to understand it a bit better (if i recall correct the explanations were good, but above me). That was just chat, not real info. Well: one can always edit debian/changelog later, with an editor and without using dch (let's call that manually). That was at least a wee bit of info.

Yes you can do it manually also.

Thanks
cynwulf

Postby FretfulMother » May 25th, 2013, 12:44 am

cynwulf wrote:
FretfulMother wrote:debchange (dch)? Weird and not easy to understand, but very leet :-) Perhaps the discussion of julian and Soul should be copied, to understand it a bit better (if i recall correct the explanations were good, but above me). That was just chat, not real info. Well: one can always edit debian/changelog later, with an editor and without using dch (let's call that manually). That was at least a wee bit of info.

Yes you can do it manually also.

off-topic:
During the last weeks i have come to think the following. I don't say it is appropriate, but it made me understand a bit more.
A lot of the (debian) developer tools simply create a reasonable default a) file (debchange) or b) filestructure (dh_make, gem2deb) or c) automate things which can be automated (gem2deb downloads a ruby-gem.tar.gz, unpacks it, renames it according to Debians naming system and sets up a debian/{copyright,changelog,control,...} directory. How cool is that? It does nearly everything for you).
All files (i am back at debchange now) have the correct syntax, and dpkg-buildpackage and lintian can be very touchy about a wrong syntax, hence a correct pattern file where i only need to replace an empty line with (one-space-two-space-one-asterisk with one-space-two-space-one-asterisk-one-space-"New upstream Release" is good to avoid many errors (a better example: copyright needs a tab as the last line, you can't see it if you look at an example, and if you do it manually you got no clue why the heck it complains).
(Let me stress this: Inside the build dir the debian/ directory is debian, anything else is upstream. changes to upstream -> patch. changes to debian/ -> edit your way. )
Running debchange/dhc and suddenly a file opened in an editor confused me a lot. Now, after i consider them the way i tried to describe, they scare me less.

More clear and short: The tools are good to get the syntax right.They offer a "blueprint".

The thread is about a broadcom, not about debchange. I hope it made sense to make my post anyway.
If it didn't i got no problems to remove it (or let it be removed).
FretfulMother

Postby cynwulf » May 30th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Yes the developer tools make things very easy - which why I don't get why many are so reluctant (and I mean after years running Debian) to unpack (or get the source), patch and rebuild a deb... it's not programming after all, just building code written by someone else...

It's funny you mention the patches in the ../debian directory as I often patch stuff the "quick and dirty way" - using the patch program... when it makes a lot more sense and is a lot easier to do add it as a patch file (do it the Debian way).

**on topic**

So far - no problems here. Built kernel 3.9.4 and the included b43 module no longer dumps its messages to stdout
cynwulf

Postby JulienMehlVettori » May 25th, 2014, 10:11 pm

I'm not an expert in debian but I found something different from what the tutorial said and I found the solution too.

So, at the fourth step (cd b43-fwcutter-017) the directory name available was "b43-fwcutter-015" and not "b43-fwcutter-017".
But no fears, I "cd" in the b43-fwcutter-015 directory and continued as indicated.

Then, the problem was that the "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc" comand gave me an error. I understood that the problem came from the fact that no firmware or b43 compressed file did exist with the right name (17 instead 15).

Don't ask me why but the correct comand to give to the prompt was :
$dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot -us -uc (with the -b)
as I found on this page http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51479

... still... don't ask me why.

I wish I helped someone.
JulienMehlVettori

Postby cynwulf » May 26th, 2014, 9:31 am

Welcome, I'm glad you found this useful.
JulienMehlVettori wrote:So, at the fourth step (cd b43-fwcutter-017) the directory name available was "b43-fwcutter-015" and not "b43-fwcutter-017".

If the newer version of b43-fwcutter was not available, that's likely because you didn't follow the first step and backport it from unstable. You should in fact be runnning version 018. Version 015 cannot cut the newer firmware. In fact what you're running now is probably exactly the same you'd get from the stable repo by doing "# apt-get install b43-firmware-installer"

JulienMehlVettori wrote:Then, the problem was that the "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc" comand gave me an error.

Don't ask me why but the correct comand to give to the prompt was :
$dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot -us -uc (with the -b)

-b option is a binary only build (no source). If you're just building packages for your own use, then you can indeed just use that.

Thanks for the input though, I have made some changes to make the part you referred to easier to follow and have added -b to the dpkg-buildpackage command line.

I have no way to test this or backporting and testing 018, as I no longer use Debian or have the BCM4318 chipset I tested this on. If you can run through the whole process and correctly backport version 018 from testing/unstable, reinsert the kernel module, confirm it's working and produce an lspci output to show the Broadcom hardware you're running, I can update the howto. You should be able to do this by following my howto and substituting every incidence of 017 with 018.
cynwulf

Postby JulienMehlVettori » May 29th, 2014, 6:36 am

I have no way to test this or backporting and testing 018, as I no longer use Debian or have the BCM4318 chipset I tested this on. If you can run through the whole process and correctly backport version 018 from testing/unstable, reinsert the kernel module, confirm it's working and produce an lspci output to show the Broadcom hardware you're running, I can update the howto. You should be able to do this by following my howto and substituting every incidence of 017 with 018.

Sorry but this work was a one time job. I install Debian for costumers who want me to fix their Windows... Nice fixing no? So this last Laptop is olready done and delivered.
But most of the time I have old machines in my hands (10 years) and I might have an other Broadcom. I'll let you know.

Thank you for your work.

Regards
JulienMehlVettori

Previous

Return to HowTo Discussion