Moderator: How-to Curator

How to set up Brother printer/scanners discussion

Postby bmc5311 » November 13th, 2011, 5:15 pm

MacBook Air / stable amd64 / openbox
2006 mac mini / stable / openbox
bmc5311

Re: How to set up Brother printer/scanners discussion

Postby traveler » January 11th, 2013, 8:41 pm

I bit the bullet and picked up a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer today. Got a good deal on it at Staples for $99... Anyway, I installed the appropriate lpr driver from their site then fired up CUPS. Since there is no corresponding ppd file (yet), I went with the foomatic 2170W driver and it works like a champ- including duplex printing. It's hooked up via usb to my Wheezy desktop, which is acting as the local print server. I can also print from both laptops- one running Sid and the other Wheezy. Total time invested was less than 20 minutes. This is in stark contrast to the printer I returned- an HP p1102w. Complete p.i.t.a... Terrible support combined with outdated binary drivers (with hard dependencies) made it completely unusable. HP has really gone downhill in their Linux support.
I just got kicked out of McDonalds...
traveler

Postby demosthenese » January 13th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Based on reviews I replaced my aging inkjet with a colour laser, an hl-4150cdn. The reviews all said linux supported. After buying I was unable to discover any linux drivers. Fortunately the 4050 driver seems to work well.

As an aside, I use system-config-printer to set up CUPS printers - makes this task a doddle.
demosthenese

Postby bmc5311 » January 13th, 2013, 10:37 pm

bmc5311

Postby demosthenese » January 14th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Cheers - my web-fu failed me. :-(

4150cdn driver installed and working now.
demosthenese

Postby bmc5311 » January 14th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Happy to be of service. :D
bmc5311

Postby polaris96 » May 29th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I use a an MFC 7340. Used Brother's proprietary drivers and found both the drivers and the install notes to be very concise, with one exception:

You need the cups-bsd package if you want lpr/lpd service from the printer.

Also sometimes a full-upgrade mashes the udev tweaks and you need to fix it manually.

On the whole, I kind of like Brother's level of support. I would buy another Brother product, I think.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also please visit old friends at forums.debian.net
polaris96

Postby parann0yed » February 2nd, 2014, 2:52 am

The instructions had me really hopeful, but in Wheezy it still doesn't work. I installed the drivers with the --force-all flag since it's 64bit. I also changed /etc/printcap and edited as suggested, adding the ip of my printer. It is the 2270DW and it works in another Debian installation on a desktop. For whatever reason I can't get my local cups server to recognize the 2270. I want to use the wireless feature. It works with my other Debian system which is also Wheezy. The only driver option I see is for the 2170 in the cups web configuration. I have restarted cups and rebooted after making these changes. Any suggestions on things someone might have tried that worked for Debian would be much appreciated. Thanks.
parann0yed

Postby bmc5311 » February 2nd, 2014, 3:31 pm

.... it works in another Debian installation on a desktop. For whatever reason I can't get my local cups server to recognize the 2270. I want to use the wireless feature. It works with my other Debian system which is also Wheezy.

If it's working on your other wheezy machine, it should work on all of them (but you already know that..)
- did you look here: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html
- and here: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-2270DW
bmc5311

Postby polaris96 » May 24th, 2014, 2:33 am

Just had a major crash on one of my "big" machines. Had to reinstall all the proprietary stuff for a brother all-in-one (MFC7340).

REALLY happy with how smooth things went. Brother has proper debs for 64 bit platforms, now and they've also rolled the udev mods to get normal user scan permissions.

Definitely check oout Brother Support if your're having or have had issues. and tell them thanks, also, because $SOMEBODY over there did a solid for us.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also please visit old friends at forums.debian.net
polaris96

Next

Return to HowTo Discussion