What Forum?

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

What Forum?

Postby Acewiza » February 20th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Why is this forum so dead?
Acewiza

Re: What Forum?

Postby cynwulf » February 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm

Who has disturbed my rest?!
cynwulf

Postby Acewiza » February 21st, 2019, 11:18 pm

Started watching for Debian info recently, in anticipation of the upcoming release. Looks like this is not a great place for that.
Acewiza

Postby golinux » February 22nd, 2019, 12:11 am

This is not a great place for much of anything these days. It's more of a nostalgia haunt.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby nodir » February 22nd, 2019, 2:17 am

Acewiza wrote:Started watching for Debian info recently, in anticipation of the upcoming release. Looks like this is not a great place for that.

the debian IRC channel is pretty active, and sometimes the quality is ok (point being: sometimes not. You will need to spend a bit of time to figure out whom to trust).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » February 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am

Acewiza wrote:Started watching for Debian info recently, in anticipation of the upcoming release. Looks like this is not a great place for that.

There is another forum, which I'm perhaps incorrectly assuming that you're already aware of? That one has a lot more "traffic", so I suggest going there.

(This place has indeed been practically dead for years.)
cynwulf

Postby Acewiza » February 22nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

cynwulf wrote:There is another forum...

I spent many years on the .net forum before I got sick of the holier-than-thou attitudes. No thanks - some of those guys are real, dedicated jerks.
Acewiza

Postby cynwulf » February 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm

That rather limits your choices, to this "dead" site, LQ's Debian subforum or one of the Debian derivative distributions fan sites...

But when "watching" for info about releases, perhaps official mailing lists are you best bet?

I'm not sure that even half the tiny number of regulars which still come here from time to time even use Debian anymore.
cynwulf

What Forum?

Postby lester] » February 23rd, 2019, 11:52 am

[u]
cynwulf wrote:I'm not sure that even half the tiny number of regulars which still come here from time to time even use Debian anymore.
Besides the quoted part, yes the choices are getting more limited, which might not be a bad thing, <Generally>

Do you wonder how many of the old regulars that you remember, and still want to believe use Debian?
Of those you remember and think may still use Debian, ymmv
how many of them do you think use systemd i, init, or both
and does anyone still care
lester]

Postby golinux » February 23rd, 2019, 3:57 pm

The Debian we once knew and loved is dying. Even the systemd maintainer has taken some "time off" because of the insanity. And then there was that critical systemd bug a week or so ago. So the refugees have scattered to other islands in the Linux eco-system. I doubt there is anyone here who could help someone running current Debian with systemd.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Next

Return to Nonsense