Yet another pointless discussion thread...

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: Yet another pointless discussion thread...

Postby nodir » November 8th, 2018, 9:41 pm

and being slightly less megalomaniac what you should have done is either a) remove the part in the how-to which states it would be a solution for "will not be optimally supported (if at all) by Debian's stock kernel." that or b) tell it there, in the how-to.
I for one care shit.
nodir

Postby golinux » November 8th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Stickie doesn't care either as long as he has a place where he can pontificate thinking he sounds important and imagining that someone will be impressed (we aren't).
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 8th, 2018, 10:19 pm

nodir wrote:what you should have done is either a) remove the part in the how-to which states it would be a solution for "will not be optimally supported (if at all) by Debian's stock kernel." that or b) tell it there, in the how-to.

Thank you for the feedback :)

The guide is the first in a series of [FAQ] articles, the idea was suggested by @stevepusser as a solution to the flood of frequently asked questions over at fdn, as such I think it's fine as it is.

I wouldn't really recommend running Debian on shiny new shit anyway, Arch is a much better choice (IMO).

EDIT: or Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre, if non-free software is a concern.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » November 8th, 2018, 10:44 pm

That idea worked already damn well with the beginner subsection.

I guess any idea is good as long it can make someone waste a bit of time. 80 years or more is a damn long time. Or can be.
As a plus it gave people like dasein the possibility to make thousands of posts by only linking. Init that great?
nodir

Re: another distro: dragora

Postby cynwulf » November 9th, 2018, 9:10 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:AMD now contribute directly to the development of xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu, this was not the case with xserver-xorg-video-ati

Wrong again. So, in the interests of correcting your glossed over interpretations...

xf86-video-ati/radeon and the associated kernel drivers did in fact receive a lot of contribution from AMD developers for many years.

xf86-video-amdgpu was forked from that older driver, by the same developers. I know that at least one of those developers has worked for AMD for over a decade.

The caveat of proprietary firmware for acceleration/DRI still remains. The big difference here is that the new kernel module (amdgpu) for supporting newer GPU/APU will be the basis for both the FOSS and proprietary drivers (and the proprietary driver ("layer") still consists of a BLOB).

You have it backwards, or you're interpreting the whole thing the way you want to interpret it, or you just read nothing but Larabel or similar...

So AMD have not simply "gone open source".

I am not an authority on the Linux DRM / X.org drivers. As such, I tend to avoid regurgitating tech press articles and spouting terminology of which I know little about.
cynwulf

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 9th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Yeah, you got me, I was bullshitting just to argue with you, I find it so enjoyable. Not sure why.

But the take home message is that the only blob in the AMD graphics stack is the firmware, yes?

The kernel driver, the DDX driver and the Mesa component are all open source, just like with Intel cards.

Bearing that in mind:
cynwulf wrote:What is the "driver", what do you think the kernel module consists of? Are they, in open sourcing the kernel module - i.e. the bit which is exposed to the GPL licenced kernel/ABI - really open sourcing anything of value? Does it use mesa/dri like the ati/radeon DRM drivers did or a proprietary closed source libgl like fglrx?

viewtopic.php?p=33194#p33194

^ What the **** was that jumbled nonsense? Looks like somebody else needs to do some research before spouting bullshit, eh? :mrgreen:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cynwulf » November 10th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Yeah, you got me, I was bullshitting just to argue with you, I find it so enjoyable. Not sure why.

This is no revelation.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ What the **** was that jumbled nonsense? Looks like somebody else needs to do some research before spouting bullshit, eh? :mrgreen:

It's "nonsense" simply because you don't know what you're talking about.

Your time spent here is wasted, get back to FDN and faking it...
cynwulf

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 10th, 2018, 10:58 pm

cynwulf wrote:It's "nonsense" simply because you don't know what you're talking about.

Hey, look, I will allow that your knowledge of the soap opera of open source development is *much* better than mine, and very well done for that.

But your grasp on technical matters is tenuous, at best.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » November 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm

time to raise the level:
Estragon: On trouve toujours quelque chose, hein, Didi, pour nous donner l'impression d'exister?
Vladimir: (impatienment): Mais oui, mais oui. On est des magiciens.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 12th, 2018, 9:14 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:But your grasp on technical matters is tenuous, at best.

Oh dear... should I read more Phoronix Mr Developer?
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense