actual problems - back to systemd

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: actual problems - back to systemd

Postby nodir » January 29th, 2016, 12:10 am

sanjuro wrote: If there are easier ways to install and use an operating system which doesn't include systemd in the first place, I'll take that option first...

Salix is dead easy.
The only problem is the lack of users.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » January 29th, 2016, 9:22 am

I don't see the lack of users as an issue. If it works then I don't need a forum. My operating system of choice is OpenBSD. There is a forum of sorts, not an official one, but I rarely post there. If the OS works then the forum isn't needed.

Linux distributions tend to have big forums packed with fanbois and noobs asking the same questions over and over - I fail to see the appeal...
cynwulf

Postby nodir » January 29th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Makes sense.
In that case salix might be an option.
Though i for one can't see a reason why one would want to look at it if one is using OpenBSD (i couldn't think of an advantage).

funny name (i googled it ... well: ducked it ... :-) you may or may not want to reveal your other nick[s] ... but then: what matters is content, not who posted it ).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » January 29th, 2016, 3:57 pm

nodir wrote:Makes sense.
In that case salix might be an option.
Though i for one can't see a reason why one would want to look at it if one is using OpenBSD (i couldn't think of an advantage).

I'm not looking at it. I commented that I don't see the point in people trying to rip systemd out of Debian, when there are lots of decent alternatives which don't have systemd in the first place. That's all.

You mentioned the forum/number of users being somewhat important? Are numbers that critical? You might get a handful of users on an almost dead forum, who really know their stuff. On the other hand you can have a 'big' distribution, with a very active forum, but 99% of that is just noise, waffle, chatter, amateurish trolling and ideological posts and sermonising.
nodir wrote:funny name (i googled it ... well: ducked it ... :-) you may or may not want to reveal your other nick[s] ... but then: what matters is content, not who posted it ).

Easy - this one and the previous one, don't know of any others - certainly can't remember any others anyway...
cynwulf

Postby nodir » January 29th, 2016, 8:25 pm

I too can't see the point in ripping out systemd of debian.
I can't see *lots* of alternatives (gentoo, where package-installation and upgrades take ages, not to speak of kernel maintance, slackware with the lack of dependency-blah and a couple of tiny distros, then the BSD family).

Small number of users isn't that important. For easy questions i like quick answers (how to change the timezone. I'd like to ask such and get the answer in the blink of an eye). Nothing impossible to figure out, but timeconsuming (and sure no fun).
i really love answers of that kind: what init-system does salix use? answer: the same as slackware ....

Whatever the previous name might have been ....
nodir

Postby fig1 » January 29th, 2016, 9:40 pm

nodir wrote:(gentoo, where package-installation and upgrades take ages, not to speak of kernel maintance, slackware with the lack of dependency-blah and a couple of tiny distros, then the BSD family).

manjaro-openrc is based on arch: https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=29727.0

and then theres systemd-free.org, which for now just seems to be an arch support group for running without systemd. (if its more than that, link me to the iso.)

not assuming this is what youre looking for. offered for completeness, unless it does actually suit your needs. there are others listed on sites im sure youve already visited.
fig1

Postby nodir » January 30th, 2016, 1:57 am

Yup: i ain't got that one on my monitor. Though every other day i hear of it.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » January 30th, 2016, 2:06 pm

nodir wrote:I too can't see the point in ripping out systemd of debian.

I can't see the point, but don't really care if someone wants to do it.

nodir wrote:I can't see *lots* of alternatives (gentoo, where package-installation and upgrades take ages, not to speak of kernel maintance, slackware with the lack of dependency-blah and a couple of tiny distros, then the BSD family).

Being tiny doesn't matter much. If more people start using them they might stop being tiny and start being big...? Slackware never really suffered from the lack of dependency-blah.

nodir wrote:Whatever the previous name might have been ....

You said you googled it, well ducked it...?
cynwulf

Postby nodir » January 30th, 2016, 10:39 pm

i found this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056443/
but now it seems clear (avatar, etc).
Like said above: to me it really doesn't matter who says something, as long it makes sense.
nodir

Previous

Return to Nonsense