actual problems - back to systemd

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

actual problems - back to systemd

Postby nodir » January 27th, 2016, 5:41 am

I for one still haven't found a good solution regarding systemd (to put it different: how to avoid it).
I don't care much for computing anymore, nor for linux.
I don't care what is good and what is bad about systemd, what is wrong with linux forums, etc.
All i am looking for is an operating system which is free (in the meaning of GNU) and which is easy to administer (main problems here seem to be a) package-management and b) an easy init system, the rest seems to be pretty much the same anywhere ).
Using Salix and Gentoo, both do the job, but lack comfort by this means or others (salix being really easy, but in case i got a question i neither get support nor find answers online).

bit weird that after nearly 2 years i still haven't found something ... probably there isn't something worth it ...
nodir

Re: actual problems - back to systemd

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 27th, 2016, 6:15 am

salix being really easy, but in case i got a question i neither get support nor find answers online
My guess is in most cases there is a good chance what works for Slackware will also work for Salix. As far as I know Salix is not altered very much from the Slackware parent. Although I do not Salix, so I could be wrong. If you are willing to use Linux Questions, many of the Slackware users there are willing to answer Salix questions.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » January 27th, 2016, 6:54 am

As of now i went to the slackware IRC channel, which is a lot of useless chat. Pretty sure i will remove that channel soon from my list.
linuxquestions i would rather avoid.
the main problem is a different one: small distros with a handfull of users only lack support.

As far the init system is concerned: yup, the slackware docu would work (not very clear, by the way).
package-management: i don't know if slackware also has got slapt-get and slapt-src
Else i don't know what changes they made. A couple of tiny but time-consuming problems (most of them i simply ignore).
nodir

Postby golinux » January 27th, 2016, 7:16 am

nodir . . . nice to see you. Devuan alpha2 works really well. Just do a base install and build it up. You can download an iso here. The next refracta will be devuan-based. Come say hi to fsr sometime.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby nodir » January 27th, 2016, 7:30 am

oh. :-)
Well: i check refracta.freeforums.org and debianuserforums daily, at least each day i am online. And that is pretty much any linux sites i go ...
devuan or refracta come to my mind, but as far anything related to debian by any means: i am trying to avoid it. The advantages are clear, i guess (comfort, big repos of packages, easy, and as far it's me: i know it in and out, at least compared with salix or gentoo).
And after 2 years still alpha? ... well: that was the problem i am speaking of
(all of that are fine solutions, but if you compare them with debian back in the days ... urgh).
nodir

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 27th, 2016, 7:56 am

nodir wrote:linuxquestions i would rather avoid.
I understand. It is not a great forum. Unfortunately, LQ's Slackware section is the distro's unofficial forum. It is the only forum available.
package-management: i don't know if slackware also has got slapt-get and slapt-src
If I remember correctly, the only real differences are Salix has a slightly automated installer and a package manager with dependency resolution. Things like slapt-get are Salix's creations.
the main problem is a different one: small distros with a handfull of users only lack support.
I have never seen their forum, so do not know how useful it is, having as you mentioned, a small user base. If you are still interested in trying a Slackware with more "advanced" package management, there is also Vector. Being a commercial product It probably has a larger user base, but I do not know if their forum is free or Red Hat-style pay for support.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » January 27th, 2016, 8:04 am

"vector linux"
I forgot about it. I tried it as a live CD, back then, but completely forgot about it.

What i wanted to say in the OP is something round the lines of: if you a) have used Debian back then and b) don't want systemd, then there are no easy solutions. And not having found a good alternative after 2 years is disenchanting.
nodir

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 27th, 2016, 8:34 am

I am not aware of any OS that is similar to Debian, but without systemd. (Other than the hoped for Devuan. If/Whenever it is ready.) So there probably is no solution to that particular problem. PCBSD might be similar enough for some people. It is supposed to be a "user-friendly" FreeBSD.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby golinux » January 27th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I have been happily using Devuan alpha2 for several months (and am atm in fact). Rock solid. Many server admins have already migrated. Here's one report. But then I have a friend who supports Devuan but is hooked on Void.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby anticapitalista » January 27th, 2016, 5:09 pm

antiX-15 - Debian jessie based. no systemd
anticapitalista

Next

Return to Nonsense