how /linux got its groove back

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: how /linux got its groove back

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 11th, 2015, 9:11 am

Perhaps a forum with a wiki might work. People could ask questions on the forum and more experienced people could write wiki articles.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby fig1 » December 11th, 2015, 3:10 pm

my experience is that no one uses wikis. obviously this is subjective, since there are quite a few out there and at least some are active.

definitely one of the better inventions no matter who uses them. forum + wiki even better; if the forum has people that use the command line every week, even better.
fig1

Postby tomazzi » January 16th, 2016, 2:36 am

Winston Smith wrote:...
the problem with 'linux' as it is? it's now a corporate affair, big businesses own and control most of it, rather than being the sole domain of the greasy hippies and social retards, with the real talent. who used to code in their bedrooms

of the users, only a very tiny minority are into coding, the rest just want to use the end result and don't care what's free or isn't, so much the same as windows except with absurd double standards

even 10 years ago a large proportion of 'linux' users were very knowledgeable, if not basic coders, then advanced users or students

the average linux user today just wants a free thing and they suck up all of the corporate shit spewed by red hat and canonical and regard google android as a 'linux' distro. they do not want to learn or expand help others, they mostly want to appear clever and pull others down to below their level and sneer and behave like 'fanboys'. go to any linux forum to see this. dumbed down accepted 'facts' and technical support friendly practises have replaced the enquiring minds rebelliousness of the user of 10 years beore.

linux itself is not the same, most projects have forgotten what they were all about and are populated by people solely with ambitions of getting on the payroll of hp/ibm/red hat intel/cisco/oracle/whatever. typical examples are torvalds and others who are effectively on the payroll of fortune 500 companies and serve their interests first and foremost

sorry to burst your bubble but it's been all over for a long time and systemd is the least of your troubles. systemd is just a small indicator to you of the direction in which 'linux' is heading and the nature of the people involved in it's development

have you heard of 'own the resistance'? in linux terms it's already happened, we're there now. gullible people and dreamers have simply underestimated the power of money

you might as well say 'come and clean microsofts toilets and we can change the computing world'

Usually I'm avoiding citing a whole post, but the above represents almost exactly what I'm thinking about Linux today.

fig1 wrote:...whats lacking in the computing world is a good education.

This is in fact the only part of Your original post which I could agree with - education is becoming less and less efficient, and in the result, the humanity will wake up one day in a world, where no real programmers are left - but of course thousands of C# and java programmers will be still writting shitty, inefficient software, so corporations will survive ;)

fig1 wrote:but for people that already know how to code, i still think everyone should make their own language.

Regarding creation of a new languages: *extremely* stupid idea.
Apparently You don't have have a clue what makes language a programming language...

Creating shitty, not well defined and undocumented languages is going to help in spreading the idea of free software? - bullshit, simply bullshit.

Btw, you should spend few days on reading about "GNU bison" - every language needs a compiler or at least interpreter, if You want to call it a "programing language"

No offense, just my opinion.

Regards
tomazzi

Postby fig1 » January 26th, 2016, 7:25 pm

tomazzi wrote:Regarding creation of a new languages: *extremely* stupid idea.

im sure i could debate that with you, although the following insults hardly make it sound worthwhile:

Apparently You don't have have a clue what makes language a programming language...

and its obviously not worth your time to tell me what (you think) is missing. im (slightly) curious what you think makes a pl a pl, but since we probably disagree, and of the two of us only you think theres an unsatisfied, definite answer...

im already aware of both turing-completeness *and* turing tarpits, so your concept must be even "higher-level" than that. hey, youre entitled to an opinion.

Creating shitty, not well defined and undocumented languages is going to help in spreading the idea of free software? - bullshit, simply bullshit.

this is an interesting summary of what im talking about, which kind of misses everything ive said.

also, the language isnt undocumented. documentation is what ive been focused on lately.

Btw, you should spend few days on reading about "GNU bison" - every language needs a compiler or at least interpreter, if You want to call it a "programing language"

compiler is in the sig. granted, i dont have any hope that youll approve in the slightest- its a "source-to-source compiler," aka translator/transpiler written in/for python.

No offense, just my opinion.

none (well, nothing much) taken, though not sure why such an acidic reply was necessary.

some days i feel like the "old guard" (which i hardly despise myself) must spend its days looking for new blood that it deems ignorant, so it can vent its frustration with everything new and increasingly stupid about gnu/linux. but im only trying to help people that would never learn to code become familiar with things like bash and python. i dont really think this is something you need to attack.

then again-- im aware what i requested comments on, and the location where i asked them, so im not going to waste my time feigning injury when i already expected honesty. so thanks for being honest, at least.

the thing about the "old guard" is that for the most part, they dont seem as bitter or vicious as their reputation (beware the great and powerful oz?" but its possible i just dont find them in very big numbers anymore. i continue to be surprised that many dont believe devuan is a real distro, but since they also dont believe i wrote a compiler, i might double check the local version of "reality" sometimes.

in short, anyone can be wrong (i dont doubt that includes me) and i certainly hope you are. though i mostly abandoned the idea of this thread when the forums were closing down. i will revisit it if any interest mounts. no worries.
fig1

Previous

Return to Nonsense