DEBIAN Screenshots

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: DEBIAN Screenshots

Postby huggybear » February 17th, 2011, 8:41 pm

cynwulf wrote: I have never managed to get transparency working for the panels without the whole lot disappearing, what would you gentlemen advise..?

Xfce? Enable compositing in X (see Compiz entry in Debian's wiki; you obviously don't need to install Compiz, but just add a few entries in xorg.conf, all of which is explained in the article). Then just enable compositing in Xfce's settings in the window manager portion.

Other panels can use pseudo transparency (i.e. they make a snapshot of their background and show their own colour transparent in relation to that background), such as tint or Fluxbox's panel, but for it to work, please disable xorg's compositing portion (otherwise you'll just either see full opacity or full transparency).
<< I guess that makes them "DEBITARDS" ..... >>
huggybear

Postby cynwulf » February 17th, 2011, 9:34 pm

huggybear wrote:
cynwulf wrote: I have never managed to get transparency working for the panels without the whole lot disappearing, what would you gentlemen advise..?

Xfce? Enable compositing in X (see Compiz entry in Debian's wiki; you obviously don't need to install Compiz, but just add a few entries in xorg.conf, all of which is explained in the article). Then just enable compositing in Xfce's settings in the window manager portion.

Other panels can use pseudo transparency (i.e. they make a snapshot of their background and show their own colour transparent in relation to that background), such as tint or Fluxbox's panel, but for it to work, please disable xorg's compositing portion (otherwise you'll just either see full opacity or full transparency).

Thanks, but compositing is not the issue. It's panel transparency that is. I believe this is what omns was referring to as well:

cynwulf

Postby huggybear » February 18th, 2011, 1:12 am

There's a config for that. Just right click the panel, it should have an option to set it up. The opacity level is adjustable. If it doesn't work, then maybe it's a config issue.
huggybear

Postby mharrison » February 18th, 2011, 2:18 am

Basic gnome...just modified the panel a bit. Wanting to toy around with XFCE but haven't gotten around to it yet.Image
mharrison

Postby cynwulf » February 18th, 2011, 8:39 am

huggybear wrote:There's a config for that. Just right click the panel, it should have an option to set it up. The opacity level is adjustable. If it doesn't work, then maybe it's a config issue.

:lol:

Yes it's adjustable I know that, but unfortunately the entire panel, icons, widgets the lot are transparent. So if I make the panel fully transparent it vanishes...
cynwulf

Postby huggybear » February 18th, 2011, 11:40 am

Yes, that's how it works in Xfce. Everything goes transparent, not just the background. But you should be able to make it fully opaque by using the slider. If not, then it's really odd.
huggybear

Postby nadir » February 18th, 2011, 11:44 am

Without being an expert (using xfce for 3 months) i would say that its panel is the "big" drawback (for me). I use avant-window-nagivator instead. If i completely remove the xfce panel alt+F1 doesn't give me a menu anymore, so i keep it small, semi-tranparent and auto-hided.
nadir

Postby cynwulf » February 18th, 2011, 12:00 pm

huggybear wrote:Yes, that's how it works in Xfce. Everything goes transparent, not just the background. But you should be able to make it fully opaque by using the slider. If not, then it's really odd.

I can make it fully opaque... it's the transparency issue I was referring to.
cynwulf

Postby huggybear » February 18th, 2011, 12:13 pm

No way around that I'm afraid. You could try to hack the gtk theme and give it a transparent background. That way your widgets are unharmed. Since nothing is sitting behind the panel anyway, even pseudo transparency would work. Some GTK engines (Murrine) also support ARGB, which means you can set transparency to any widget in GTK if you have compositing enabled. But Google knows more about that than I do.
huggybear

Postby beavenburt » February 18th, 2011, 12:36 pm

There is a patch for 4.6.1 i'm not sure if it will work in .2
As huggybear states, there is also a way to use a transparent panel background. There's some info here if anyone cares to try: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=3398

Personally, I don't use any effects so the panel is perfect for my needs.
beavenburt

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense