DEBIAN Screenshots

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: DEBIAN Screenshots

Postby SoulSingin » May 23rd, 2014, 7:46 am

Maybe my fingers are getting old and slow. I don't know. What I do know is that it has taken my fingers a long time to learn how to interact with the LXDE desktop on a touch-screen interface. One of the biggest difficulties is in scrolling through a webpage. You cannot just swipe upwards. You have to use the scrollbars which -- by default -- are pressed against the right edge of the screen. For my poor fingertips, it's almost impossible to find the scrollbar in that location.

Happily, I discovered that placing the panel on the right side of the screen puts the scrollbar to the panel's left -- a more accessible location for my fingertips. Another benefit of placing the panel along the shorter edge of the screen is that it makes the workspace "more square," which makes it easier to read down through a document.

I think I'm starting to have fun with this new toy!
Last edited by SoulSingin on May 29th, 2014, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildflower seed in the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again
SoulSingin

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » May 23rd, 2014, 8:57 am

One of the biggest difficulties is in scrolling through a webpage. You cannot just swipe upwards. You have to use the scrollbars
Sounds like they do not completely understand the concept of touch-screen. I guess none of the developers have seen a touch-screen telephone. :shock:
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby SoulSingin » May 23rd, 2014, 12:27 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
One of the biggest difficulties is in scrolling through a webpage. You cannot just swipe upwards. You have to use the scrollbars
Sounds like they do not completely understand the concept of touch-screen. I guess none of the developers have seen a touch-screen telephone. :shock:

In this case, the developer is me. I used Sven Ola's Debian Kit to install Debian with LXDE on an Android tablet. He built the installer, now someone else has to take it to the next level.

If I had the time, money and resources, I would build on Sven-Ola's work, I would rewrite X11 so that it recognizes touch screen gestures, I would rewrite LXDE to make it more phone/tablet friendly and then I would sell my product for big money. But I don't have the time, money or resources for such a project, so I'm stuck accessing the LXDE desktop through an Android RDP client, hence the lack of touch-screen gestures.
SoulSingin

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » May 24th, 2014, 2:39 am

You built it yourself?
Never mind them. It's great. I would have difficulty downloading the parts. Forget about putting them together.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby allthatisthecase » May 24th, 2014, 8:48 am

SoulSingin wrote:If I had the time, money and resources, I would build on Sven-Ola's work, I would rewrite X11 so that it recognizes touch screen gestures

AFAIK Xorg has the ability to use touchscreen gestures, or did you mean you'd like to programme support for specific Android devices which use strange touchscreen drivers?
Even so, I do think it should be possible to yank the drivers from Cyanogenmod.
allthatisthecase

Postby SoulSingin » May 25th, 2014, 5:05 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:You built it yourself?

Sadly, no. I just snapped together the pieces.

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Never mind them. It's great. I would have difficulty downloading the parts. Forget about putting them together.

You installed Debian on your home computer. I'm sure you can get it running on your phone.

allthatisthecase wrote:
SoulSingin wrote:If I had the time, money and resources, I would build on Sven-Ola's work, I would rewrite X11 so that it recognizes touch screen gestures

AFAIK Xorg has the ability to use touchscreen gestures

Sounds like you know more than me. I played with the X server app, so I know that it can work on an Android device, but that's all I know.

What I wrote was a lament. CyanogenMod is a nice project, but all it does is replace proprietary Android with open source Android. We need to go further. A simple step forward would be to create a ROM with Debian baked in. Then you could just switch displays (from the Android display to Debian's X display).

Once you're on the Debian side, you will still want to work with your phone, so we will need GNU/Linux applications that provide a telephone dialer, address book, messenger, etc. A simple step towards achieving those objectives would be to rewrite Florian Breitwieser' SMS scripts, which search the Android database, extract address book entries, receive SMS messages and send the SMS messages that you write. (For my own Debian "phonetop," I created a primitive dialer by rewriting one of his scripts).

And then, since we're working with a touch screen device ... Which desktop environment/window manager will work best on a phone? which will work best on a tablet? Will a double-finger flick scroll through a webpage? If not, how can we get that functionality?

In other words, my lament is that a fusion of Debian and CyanogenMod (call it "Debian CM"), coupled with a series of small innovations to could slowly become the superphone that Mr. Shuttleworth is trying to sell. What's particularly sad is that this idea is not new. "Zack the Spack" promised to "build convergence" several months ago, he raised 1592 GBP for the effort and he's still chrooting into loop disk images.

If I had the time, money and resources, I would write the code for Debian CM myself. But that option is not available to me, so I hope Mr. Shuttleworth succeeds. And if he does not, then I hope that someone more knowledgeable than me -- better yet, a team of people more knowledgeable than me (e.g, the Maemo Community) -- builds Debian CM for the rest of us.
Last edited by SoulSingin on May 29th, 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulSingin

Postby allthatisthecase » May 25th, 2014, 7:38 am

No, I wasn't trying to point out CM as a good alternative, just something where you could find out how the driver for your device's touchscreen gestures works.
This at least suggests that there has been touchscreen support for quite a while now. Not sure why it would not be available for your device unless it was a driver issue.

I think we as Linux users are always a bit late to the table when it comes to trends (even Ubuntu), but from what I can see, at least Wayland, QT5, Gnome 3 are built with touchscreen users in mind.

I'm also really sad that x86 based tablettes with Meego didn't take off in our community. We could have just copied the SIM card stuff from CM, since it's open source, and have really cool tablettes/phones with Meego _and_ all of our Linux programmes without having to follow tutorials just to install them.
allthatisthecase

Postby SoulSingin » May 25th, 2014, 11:17 am

allthatisthecase wrote:No, I wasn't trying to point out CM as a good alternative, just something where you could find out how the driver for your device's touchscreen gestures works.

Oh! Sorry. I should have explained. On Android, I connect to the Debian desktop via RDP, so I cannot use touch screen gestures because RDP does not support them.

allthatisthecase wrote:This at least suggests that there has been touchscreen support for quite a while now.

Thanks for the video. Those wobbly windows are pretty cool, but take another look at what happens at the 53 second mark. He tries to use the scrollbar, but he stumbles on the screen's right edge -- the same problem that I was experiencing. Did he not know the scrolling gesture? or did the developers not include one?

allthatisthecase wrote:I think we as Linux users are always a bit late to the table when it comes to trends (even Ubuntu), but from what I can see, at least Wayland, QT5, Gnome 3 are built with touchscreen users in mind.

Maybe we will always be late to the table. Maybe not. All I know is that you reminded me of something Steve Jobs once said.

at the 2:25 mark, Steve Jobs wrote:It started with what incredible benefits can we give to the customer? ... Not let's sit down with the engineers and figure out what awesome technology we have and then how are we going to market that?

One could argue that open source software developers produce "awesome technology," while the big name software companies (like Apple and Google) market it to the customer.
SoulSingin

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » July 3rd, 2014, 10:50 am

Test-driving Xmonad. I am at the beginning of a work in progress. This is a default configuration. I am still trying to figure out how to configure this Haskel monster.
The first image is a tiled layout with the master window shrunk: Conky, Ranger and Xine.
The second is a standard tiled layout with dwb, terminal and a game.

http://static.dyp.im/LQwkWHBXtR/37281f2b1d37d8601709642ded0d434f.png
http://static.dyp.im/sd2BRrt585/401b0b4a6f10049512f37c3afa2ed43c.png
Last edited by Randicus Draco Albus on July 3rd, 2014, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby jheaton5 » July 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm

I can't see your screen shots. I disabled Privacy Badger and I still can't see them.
jheaton5

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense