The Hazing Thread - introduce yourself *here*

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: The Hazing Thread - introduce yourself *here*

Postby TeamRocket1233e » January 23rd, 2014, 2:12 pm

Hiya! I've been in the Linux game for a couple years now, first distro I installed on my own hardware was Crunchbang 10, meanwhile the first distro I actually started using was Ubuntu 12.10. Stuck with Ubuntu for six months, but got tired of the bitrot, so moved onto Fedora, ran that for three months, liked that it was real cutting-edge, but the six-month support window combined with not being a roller, and having a reputation for regression, in addition to being a little bloated, got me tired of it after three months, which then led me to my current distro, Archbang, which I love to pieces.

I still play with Ubuntu every now and then in Virtualbox however, along with Debian Sid, and when I'm finally able to build myself a better computer, the distros I'm trying to decide between installing on it are vanilla Arch or a Debian Sid netinstall, and IMO, it's pretty much a tie between the two rollers. Both have the newest possible software, Arch moreso than Sid, neither suffer from bitrot, both are usable as far as stability goes, and Pacman and APT are both really good package managers, and my fave package managers as well.

Of course if I were looking exclusively for stability, I'd personally go for Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS because they're both rock-solid distros, and are both supported for a reasonable amount of time, although LTS pwns Stable as far as support windows go because an LTS release is supported for five years, but they're pretty much even as far as stability is concerned, and another reason why I'd go for Stable or LTS, once again, is because I prefer APT to YUM, and also, they got more recent software than CentOS.
OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-4-ARCH | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE | Browser: Firefox Nightly | e-Mail client: Thunderbird Daily | Chat clients: Pidgin, Skype, and Teamspeak | Virtual machines: Virtualbox | Emulators: Kega Fusion, NEStopia, SNES9X, Stella, VBA-M, and DOSBOX | Windows compatibility: WINE.
TeamRocket1233e

Postby cynwulf » January 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm

Welcome! :D
cynwulf

Postby TeamRocket1233e » January 23rd, 2014, 3:11 pm

Thanks!
OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-4-ARCH | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE | Browser: Firefox Nightly | e-Mail client: Thunderbird Daily | Chat clients: Pidgin, Skype, and Teamspeak | Virtual machines: Virtualbox | Emulators: Kega Fusion, NEStopia, SNES9X, Stella, VBA-M, and DOSBOX | Windows compatibility: WINE.
TeamRocket1233e

Postby notthatguy » January 28th, 2014, 6:06 pm

TeamRocket1233e wrote: although LTS pwns Stable as far as support windows go because an LTS release is supported for five years,

but software in main is all that is officially supported
notthatguy

Postby LowEndGeek » March 6th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Hey all, just registered and popping in to say hello. Been using linux for....around 8 years now. Currently on Debian 64bit testing. I am also an aspiring android rom developer. 34 years old and wanting to learn more.
LowEndGeek

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » March 7th, 2014, 3:58 am

Why Low End Geek, and not High End? :D
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby TeamRocket1233e » April 11th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Also, since I messed up the default Archbang configuration in a botched username change (the username itself changed over OK, but it wreaked havoc on the original Openbox + SLiM configuration) I replaced it with my own configuration of LXDM + MATE.

Basically, converted Archbang to Arch.
TeamRocket1233e

Postby widget » June 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

Well I suppose I should post here for my fair share of abuse.

I am a grumpy geezer. Also a Blacksmith. The 2 go together well.

Fairly new to Linux. Late 08.

Was in my 40s before having anything to do with computers. MSDos at the time but quickly added another floppy with DosShell (file manager).

Ran Ubuntu-testing as my production OS from 9.10-testing through 10.10-testing, continued, like a fool through 12.04-testing. There are times that a high tolerance for abuse is not a good thing.

Generally have made my living as an agricultural worker. Farm hand, Orchard hand, Ranch hand.

Currently am the Flunky at the County Weed District.

My "real" box died in Feb. Am using an antique laptop right now running Debian 7. Scraping money together to build a new box. At that time I will be using Debian testing and Sid again.

Will be using my old hdds which have an insane number of different installs on them to play with.

I have developed some useful skills in Linux.

Mostly I am superb at breaking systems. Enjoy that. Have even gotten to the point I can fix them usually. Need to work on increasing my skills at breaking them obviously.

One of my drives is a loaner drive with 2 identical sets of 4 installs on it, one 64 bit, the other 32 bit to loan to interested folks that would like to really try out Linux installed. Is in an external enclosure. Debian Stable with OB, Debian Stable with xfce. Mageia 3 with Gnome and KDE. Manjaro with OB. I need to get rid of Debian Stable with OB and replace it with, probably, Debian Stable with Mate but maybe LMDE with Mate.

Seriously doubt that last but it would give me a sudo using distro. On the other hand that is the reason it is not on there now.

Am fairly proud that I live in a town of less than 500 people, very rural and stuck on MS but there are now 5 Linux users here. Which includes myself, my wife and Dreaded Mother in Law but also 2 random victims.

While it is probably elder abuse, Dreaded uses Debian. Seems to have no trouble with it although I am, of coarse aware that someone that is 78 needs something not that "hard" to use like Ubuntu. She is not cooperative though and refuses to have any trouble running Debian.

She will allow someone in her house with an MS powered device. Her daughter and I won't.

You are all welcome to stop by if in this area of Montana, South East corner roughly, if you have a dual booted device with you that has Windows installed, a Windows phone or any other Windows device leave it in your vehicle or we can put it in Dreadeds garage if you are paranoid because of our high crime rate here (we actually have had some crimes here - not often - kind of historical happenings - I do know a guy that was arrested for horse theft about 25 years ago - charge was dropped).

Living in town sucks. Don't like it. Has the advantage of dsl as opposed to the dial up that becomes the norm about 12 miles out.

Would happily live without this connection for dial up if agriculture, even here weren't in decline. On the other hand I can actually download ISO images here instead of ordering CD/DVDs.

Feel free to start the hazing. Keep in mind that I am used to being the hazer. Usually hazing bulls out of rough country with my horse and dog.
widget

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » June 22nd, 2014, 3:32 am

I see the other boards are not enough to keep you busy, so you found your way into this dark recess of the internet. Welcome.
Feel free to start the hazing.

Montana; where the nights are cold and the sheep ... Oh wait. That is New Zealand. :lol:
Would happily live without this connection for dial up if agriculture, even here weren't in decline.
If you think agriculture (the family farm) is in decline where you are, take look a few miles north at the state agriculture is in in Canada, where the family farm is almost relegated to history. Lamentable.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » June 22nd, 2014, 11:04 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:I see the other boards are not enough to keep you busy, so you found your way into this dark recess of the internet. Welcome.

+1

The "other boards" are far too predictable and the dick head count is off the scale. While this may not be busy, you can do as you please without staff breathing down your neck or hordes of rabid fanbois invading every thread...
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense