The Hazing Thread - introduce yourself *here*

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: The Hazing Thread - introduce yourself *here*

Postby jarkgar » December 6th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I joined some time ago but haven't really posted, so I guess I'm also new here :mrgreen:
jarkgar

Postby jheaton5 » December 31st, 2013, 2:53 pm

I wanted to give you a bit of information about me. Some of you may know, others may not, that I have been a pastor of a small church. I have been there for 15 years. I recently resigned due to the fact that I am old (I'll be 68 on Feb 2nd) and apparently not going to get any younger. It is a life changing event here. We have been living in the pastorium (house provided by the church) for the 15 years. We now are house hunting which is a less than pleasant experience.

OK, to make this as on-topic as I can. :roll: We have options on cable (internet) providers. However, the options are based on the location of our new residence. Comcast, aka Infinity, ( broadband) is offered in parts of our area but not all. The other options are DSL from ATT, broadband from a local, county owned provider, or 4G-lte from a variety of cell carriers. We use Verizon for our cell phones and I already have a hot-spot for when I travel into areas that have no cable.

I sound like a spoiled and Ugly American, I know. Those of you who live in other parts of the world probably have no sympathy for my situation since you are surviving on much less in the way of amenities and conveniences. It's OK to tell me what a spoiled brat I am, but also tell me something good about how you make it on what you have.

I think I have given enough service competitors so this is not really spam. :shock:
jheaton5

Postby FretfulMother » December 31st, 2013, 7:28 pm

I sound like a spoiled and Ugly American, I know.

To be honest (and any reader may try to not have his patriotism hurt): What i see (in photos) and hear about the common american, common is _not super-rhich, looks like third world to me. Germany is an exception in Europe too, of course (like the Netherlands, Scandinavia and perhaps one or two other countries, like Swiss).
All my furniture is from the garbage and looks as nice as or usually way better than what i see on photos (of people who would be middle class over here. Say teachers).
I got that on my chest for ages (since i get in touch with real life americans via internet). Now i had a chance to get rid of it. :-)
(The situation in Germany has started to change too. You might, or might not, have heard of it. It is called Agenda2010, commited by chancellor Schröder. I speak of a world which is vanishing here too. So: no need to move over here).

I can't advise you about your internet problem (i barely can distinguish German providers). . Back then i often had problems with my internet. I used my mobile phone connection (ok for a limited time like a day) or borrowed a connection from others (ok for a non-limited time). I am sure people from America will be able to help you (help in the meaning of: give tips). The internet is broken anyway. These days i wouldn't hesitate to give up on it alltogether.

[quote]I recently resigned due to the fact that I am old (I'll be 68 on Feb 2nd) and apparently not going to get any younger.[quote]
That made me smile.

Interesting "story". Good luck with all which needs to be done (house hunting, moving, getting used to the new situation).
FretfulMother

Postby jheaton5 » January 1st, 2014, 3:59 am

FretfulMother wrote:
I sound like a spoiled and Ugly American, I know.

To be honest (and any reader may try to not have his patriotism hurt): What i see (in photos) and hear about the common american, common is _not super-rhich, looks like third world to me. Germany is an exception in Europe too, of course (like the Netherlands, Scandinavia and perhaps one or two other countries, like Swiss).
All my furniture is from the garbage and looks as nice as or usually way better than what i see on photos (of people who would be middle class over here. Say teachers).
I got that on my chest for ages (since i get in touch with real life americans via internet). Now i had a chance to get rid of it. :-)
(The situation in Germany has started to change too. You might, or might not, have heard of it. It is called Agenda2010, commited by chancellor Schröder. I speak of a world which is vanishing here too. So: no need to move over here).

I can't advise you about your internet problem (i barely can distinguish German providers). . Back then i often had problems with my internet. I used my mobile phone connection (ok for a limited time like a day) or borrowed a connection from others (ok for a non-limited time). I am sure people from America will be able to help you (help in the meaning of: give tips). The internet is broken anyway. These days i wouldn't hesitate to give up on it alltogether.

I recently resigned due to the fact that I am old (I'll be 68 on Feb 2nd) and apparently not going to get any younger.

That made me smile.

Interesting "story". Good luck with all which needs to be done (house hunting, moving, getting used to the new situation).

Thanks.
jheaton5

Postby mr-bisquit » January 1st, 2014, 6:07 am

Change and growth.
More oddier than the most oddiest of the oddy odds.
mr-bisquit

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 1st, 2014, 7:51 am

jheaton5 wrote:We have options on cable (internet) providers. However, the options are based on the location of our new residence. Comcast, aka Infinity, ( broadband) is offered in parts of our area but not all. The other options are DSL from ATT, broadband from a local, county owned provider, or 4G-lte from a variety of cell carriers. We use Verizon for our cell phones and I already have a hot-spot for when I travel into areas that have no cable.

If there is little difference in price, I would choose the local provider. I prefer to support local businesses than send the money to a corporate office somewhere.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby aaditya » January 1st, 2014, 1:38 pm

Hello, I have been using Debian on and off for about an year now.
Started with Debian on my external HDD because Ubuntu failed a couple of times there.
Then installed LMDE on my new laptop about 6 months ago..didnt like it and switched to Debian Stable..
But the graphics didnt work with wine so switched to Unstable.
Ran Unstable for a couple of months, but I guess I didnt like the Debian Unstable way..
So now I have switched to Slackware (dual boot with Manjaro(Arch based))

Debian remains on my external HDD though, which I installed about an year ago.
(also recently revived a Crunchbang -> Debian Xfce on the family laptop as an alternative to Windows)
aaditya

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 2nd, 2014, 2:57 am

How well graphics work with Wine is a major criterion for choosing a distribution? :shock: :?
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby mr-bisquit » January 4th, 2014, 1:42 am

@jheaton: You may want to set up lagg interfaces and use a local provider coupled with a rooted Android device as a router. This is also known as failover and may help.
@Randicus: WINE is a beast. The poster may need to be reminded that any type of virtualization requires X+1 CPUs along with certain flags to properly run. Even on a minimalist BSD system, wine bogs down resources. The OP is better off running Windows in VirtualBox.
More oddier than the most oddiest of the oddy odds.
mr-bisquit

Postby aaditya » January 4th, 2014, 3:09 pm

aaditya

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense