mentioned it on linuxquestions, will do here

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

mentioned it on linuxquestions, will do here

Postby freemedia » December 11th, 2019, 6:48 am

actually i came here looking for someone, who seems to have left the forum. which means that the reason that i was going to join is no longer valid.

but as long as im here, i will post this:

The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).

- peter boughton

i dont know if this matters to any of you or not, you can just let me know.
freemedia

Re: mentioned it on linuxquestions, will do here

Postby golinux » December 11th, 2019, 5:51 pm

The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives (freedom 4).
Typo? Freedom 4 or Freedom 5? You are popping up all over the place. :) This place however is a dead zone these days. The rebels who left DUF all those years ago have moved on . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby freemedia » December 11th, 2019, 6:48 pm

This place however is a dead zone these days. The rebels who left DUF all those years ago have moved on . . .

it looks that way, yes. at least joining was free.

golinux wrote:Typo? Freedom 4 or Freedom 5?

the fifth is numbered 4 because the first four are numbered 0 to 3.
freemedia

Postby golinux » December 11th, 2019, 7:17 pm

LOL! Of course. That's going to confuse some folks though. Machines and people think differently.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby freemedia » December 11th, 2019, 7:40 pm

golinux wrote:That's going to confuse some folks though.

i think it already does sometimes, but 0-based indexing is a pretty harmless lesson that can help people understand the machines.

personally, i probably would have numbered the freedoms 1 to 4-- the new one would be numbered 5 then. there is a footnote in the free software definition that says they added 0 later. the internet archive copies bring this into an intriguing dispute, but its possible the footnote is still accurate.
freemedia

Return to Nonsense