What Forum?

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: What Forum?

Postby JohnDeere630 » March 2nd, 2019, 11:14 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
cynwulf wrote:Anyone who actually regards a Linux x86 laptop/desktop PC as a "production system", can't be doing anything very "productive"... there are use cases, but still all very niche.
I guess it depends on how one defines production. Trying to use Microsoft Word for "production" was what drove me to the edge with Windows and forced me to try an alternative. Word is such crap that I could not get anything done with it. However, over the years I have done a lot of "production" with OpenOffice and then LibreOffice. I consider production to be getting work done. So my definition may be more liberal some people's. I could not get anything done that I needed to do with Windows, so for me Windows was at all productive. How productive different operating systems are will depend on what different people use them for.

+1
I am probably one of the few original people on this forum that still uses Debian. I always meant to try BSD, but a few half-hearted forays into it led nowhere. I have enough going on that I just don't have the time to learn a new OS. Systemd may suck, I don't know; it seems to work for the time being. At this point in my life, my computers are just tools, and I need them to work. Windows does not. Debian does. It's as simple as that. Production for me means using MPLab and arduino IDEs to write and compile .hex files for microprocessors, and using LibreOffice to write documentation. I use KDEnlive for video production, and without a web browser to scour the 'net for the esoteric parts and ICs I need, I'd be dead in the water, so for me, my Debian boxes form a big part of the toolkit I use to make a living. Am I productive on them? I guess that's a matter of perspective. I keep the bills paid and don't miss many meals, so I guess they and I are productive enough.... :lol:
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Postby cynwulf » March 5th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:I guess it depends on how one defines production. Trying to use Microsoft Word for "production" was what drove me to the edge with Windows and forced me to try an alternative. Word is such crap that I could not get anything done with it.

Word is indeed bad, annoyingly unusable in fact. I prefer libreoffice writer, if I have to use a word processor. excel however is irreplaceable for those who depend on it to get work done. The alternatives just don't cut it. The rest of MS office is decidedly sub par - marred by decades of poor decision making from Microsoft. But it's just not about MS software, but a whole plethora of production software which is sadly written for MS Windows (or macOS), such as QuarkXpress, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, CorelDraw, Sage, to name but a few.
cynwulf

Times have changed

Postby golinux » March 7th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Times have changed since this forum was created. It's unlikely anyone here is using Debian with systemd or Debian at all for that matter.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Re: Debian Systemd doesn't start any service

Postby cynwulf » March 8th, 2019, 10:07 am

I don't think posting in every thread advising the OPs that the forum is essentially "dead" (to put it one way) is good practice. Especially considering your conflicting interests elsewhere with the Devuan project / being administrator of a Devuan forum, with a vocal anti systemd stance.
cynwulf

Postby golinux » March 8th, 2019, 5:19 pm

What BS but I suppose that is to be expected. I can't remember when a question about systemd been answered here but I might have a bad memory. You have to admit that the name of this forum is hardly applicable/descriptive in 2019. It has nothing to do with my personal preferences. Perhaps you'd want to guide the OP to BSD?
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby cynwulf » March 12th, 2019, 9:07 am

golinux wrote:I can't remember when a question about systemd been answered here but I might have a bad memory.

If you search, there are questions and they get answered occasionally. Of course, there are not many questions, because this site is very low traffic. But the questions here from the "one post wonders", outweigh and outnumber the occasional offtopic threads which spawn and involve the "old veterans" - roughly once per year if that.

Whether we like it or not, this is not our site and the Debian users who administer it, do still run Debian. I can't do much about that, nor do I want to in fact. If there is some consensus, via a vote, by the will of those who pay the bills or whatever, that this no longer be a Debian forum, then so be it. Until then, it is what it is.

You have an anti systemd forum, the Devuan forum, where you can post this kind of thing freely. I have no trouble at all with pro/anti systemd posts in the nonsense section here, but in my opinion, they should not be in threads from new users asking for help. i.e. we should refrain from it.
golinux wrote:Perhaps you'd want to guide the OP to BSD?

(Very silly comment...) :roll:

As headstick got similar treatment, I'm splitting this off to nonsense (original thread here viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3771).
cynwulf

Postby debil » March 12th, 2019, 10:04 am

golinux wrote:You have to admit that the name of this forum is hardly applicable/descriptive in 2019.

I still find the name perfectly apt since I use Debian and sometimes visit the forum. I also use systemd but haven't had any problems with it so I don't bother throwing any potentially time-wasting guesses when somebody else has problems with it. Actually something like * User Forums (asteriskuserforums.org :D) that welcomes users of any OS in all equality would be fine with me, but that'd probably be too all-inclusive and over-the-top (but joyfully surreal) for a quiet and slow paced ghost town like ours.

In regards to OP, I agree with cynwulf.
Ultimimate fanboi edition contributor
debil

Re: Times have changed

Postby jheaton5 » March 15th, 2019, 3:05 pm

golinux wrote:Times have changed since this forum was created. It's unlikely anyone here is using Debian with systemd or Debian at all for that matter.

Well, I'm using Debian Stretch with systemd and gnome. Not having a problem.
jheaton5

Postby jheaton5 » March 15th, 2019, 3:12 pm

I don't use Word or LibreOffice writer for documents anymore since I learned LaTeX.
jheaton5

Postby cynwulf » March 15th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I've merged the offtopic posts initially split from the new users' question in the help area to this thread.
cynwulf

Previous

Return to Nonsense