My Awesome Adventure (CoC debate)

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: My Awesome Adventure (CoC debate)

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 17th, 2018, 6:04 am

Forced medication is almost a reality already. How many North American children are NOT on mind-altering drugs to supposedly treat imaginary "disorders"?

As for free speech, it does not exist for the masses, but Donald Trump can proudly proclaim to "grab women by the pussy" and be elected president. And if I were to go to the U.S. and use the Latin word for "black", I would be in serious trouble with the thought police. Something is seriously wrong with this world.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby namibed » November 17th, 2018, 8:26 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:The political correctness nonsense not only continues, but is gaining momentum.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/16/european-lawmakers-ask-amazon-to-stop-selling-soviet-themed-merchandise
European lawmakers ask Amazon to stop selling Soviet-themed merchandise
Do not sell Russian flags and shirts. It offends some people. But American flags do not offend anyone?

i totally agree that this is exaggerated; or, in my opinion:
either it's against the law (like e.g. nazi stuff in germany) or it isn't. full stop, no need to force my views on amazon and its customers.
BUT: "victims of Soviet regime" is NOT an exaggeration.

maybe amazon should also stop selling USA-themed merchandise to respect the sensitivities of the many victims of that regime.

not likely to happen, eh?
it seems many people still think in terms of "east is bad, west is good" or "russians against americans" or "capitalists vs communists".
namibed

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 17th, 2018, 10:02 am

In other words thought police.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 18th, 2018, 12:41 pm

cynwulf wrote:What has that got to do with the joke in the glibc manual...?

I think GNU's handling of the trans-related dispute in the past is relevant to any assessment of their behaviour today.

cynwulf wrote:where was Stallman being "trans phobic"?

It was an accusation levelled by a trans gender person, which RMS has denied.

cynwulf wrote:we don't know who the other is, nor the circumstances for their dismissal

Well actually the poster in that link (Leah Rowe) has offered a full and complete explanation of what happened, at the end of this link:

https://libreboot.org/news/unity.html

Your search-fu is poor :mrgreen:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 18th, 2018, 12:43 pm

This one crept onto lobste.rs (not sure how):

https://quillette.com/2018/11/17/is-it- ... s-article/

^ And here we see some god-awful, click-bait, right-wing website promulgating it's agenda of characterising civil rights campaigners as dangerous nutcases to be afraid of: how pathetic... :roll:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 19th, 2018, 1:44 am

If you actually interpret that article as "characterising civil rights campaigners as dangerous nutcases to be afraid of" your head is missing more than a few screws.

This says it all:
We could have rejected their claim of harassment and championed the idea that universities need to preserve the tradition of open discussion of all ideas
When even discussion of certain topics is banned, that society is in a free-fall of decay. What amazes me is the gigantic level of hypocrisy so-called civil rights campaigners display. They condemn evil governments like the one in China for banning discussion of topics, which is a violation of the people's rights, but vehemently campaign to have those same policies implemented in their countries in the name of equality (?). All because they want to
silence ideas that leave them with hurt feelings.
A large segment of the population desperately needs to grow up and stop acting like eight-year-old children.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » November 19th, 2018, 11:10 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I think GNU's handling of the trans-related dispute in the past is relevant to any assessment of their behaviour today.

You may well think so, but the "joke about abortion" in the glibc manual still has nothing to do with the other historical LGBT related tantrums which you posted as "RMS is already known to be trans phobic". You're unthinkingly adding baseless slander on top of baseless slander. Well done...

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:It was an accusation levelled by a trans gender person, which RMS has denied.

Is an accusation from an anonymous person tantamount to proven guilt in your book?! In the interests of justice, one can only hope that you're never called to be on any jury.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Well actually the poster in that link (Leah Rowe) has offered a full and complete explanation of what happened, at the end of this link

https://libreboot.org/news/unity.html

Emphasis mine - not by anyone's standards. This is a one sided version of events, from two individuals with an LGBT "activist" agenda.

But, what a load of shit... I wonder did you actually read this pathetic, self indulgent drivel before posting it? The person in question essentially admits they are in the wrong(!), amid much navel gazing and wallowing in self pity.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your search-fu is poor :mrgreen:

Oh, I'd agree and I'm sure my humble copy and paste skills fall well short of yours also...

But... after after a little bit of searching, I have also dug up some more dramatics from a year ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/libreboot/comm ... community/
It should be noted, that I have apologized directly to John Sullivan (executive director of the FSF) and Richard Stallman (founder and leader of the GNU project, and president of the FSF). Both have accepted my apology, and are happy that I am doing this and that Libreboot will once again work with them.

"Apologised" usually means that the initial accusation was false? And that, coupled with applying to rejoin GNU, would generally suggest an acceptance that it's leader is in fact not "trans phobic"... that GNU/FSF are in fact not "trans phobic".

Once again headstick, despite your apparently superior web searching skills, you've delivered poorly researched kneejerk crap into this thread - solely because it suits your particular agenda and once again there is simply no substance to it.

We have a great example here where a transgender person made a false accusation and where you (after a few minutes with a search engine) simply took it at face value, because that person happened to be transgender and tried to use it to support an unrelated argument. We also have a great example of how easy it is for this kind of obnoxious rumour and misinformation to spread throughout the WWW via useful idiots and the "social media" style twaddle they so readily spew.

But more importantly, in posting what you did, you've personally slandered someone on a public message board and you should apologise for that, retract it immediately and clarify your position.
cynwulf

Postby namibed » November 20th, 2018, 7:49 pm

cynwulf wrote:https://libreboot.org/news/unity.html
and
https://www.reddit.com/r/libreboot/comm ... community/

yes, one really needs to read the whole article, and possibly the second one also.
thank you for staying vigilant, cynwulf.

PS and OT: i wonder what "naval gazing" (sic) is? have seen it a few times now in various posts... :mrgreen:
namibed

Postby nodir » November 21st, 2018, 4:04 am

cynwulf wrote:on a public massage board

corrected it for you.

But it is very usual these days, it seems. People always have to act as if they would want to sell somtething (something being themselves, on the marked). There is safe room called privacy. It's "down the bone".
At least that is what i observe (and i mainly hang out in linux and unix channels). free. lol. That ship has sailed.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 21st, 2018, 1:13 pm

namibed wrote:PS and OT: i wonder what "naval gazing" (sic) is? have seen it a few times now in various posts... :mrgreen:

Well thanks for spotting that, fixed...
nodir wrote:on a public massage board

You've got that right.
nodir wrote:But it is very usual these days, it seems. People always have to act as if they would want to sell somtething (something being themselves, on the marked). There is safe room called privacy. It's "down the bone".

And this is why some take it so hard when it turns out they are not the-best-Arch-Linux-command-line-user-fanboi-evah.

There are a vast multitude of users who know infinitely more about OpenBSD, Linux, whatever, than I do. If I'd actually put in the effort I might feel "inadequate", but as I've put in virtually zero for years, then what would be point? (I would perhaps be a little pissed off if I'd spent months scouring Phoronix, the Arch wiki, etc soaking up all the buzz words and exploring the latest fads and fashions and still be shown to know little of any real value.)

I just don't see the need to search the web, just to prop up lacking knowledge of something - as some do - it's easier to say "I don't know" and be done with it.

But for some, they do that and then it's "if you'd spent 5 minutes searching the web... blah, blah, blah, how to write a post, blah blah...".
nodir wrote:At least that is what i observe (and i mainly hang out in linux and unix channels). free. lol. That ship has sailed.

The "free" bit seems irrelevant now. It was nice when it was essentially big hobby projects, with the old school "hackers" doing most of the work. Sadly it went very corporate, you can see it everywhere, but most can't see the wood for the trees. Every developer is announcing their affiliation to whatever corporation and telling you their life story, etc. Then there are the hordes of "developers" who develop some wallpapers and a logo for openbox or whatever and are also "activists" for militant vegan rights in their spare time... Truth be told, I lost interest in most of it years ago and nowadays just hang around these sites to annoy people (posting 99% of my crap from work).
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense