My Awesome Adventure (CoC debate)

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: My Awesome Adventure (CoC debate)

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 6th, 2018, 5:46 pm

cynwulf wrote:engage in a massive circle jerk

Cannot unsee... :shock:

EDIT: is that homophobic? *suspicious look*
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby namibed » November 8th, 2018, 11:15 am

i just realised that for me, for a long while now, this thread hasn't been about discussing the CoC and related topics, but about how Head_on_a_Stick keeps debasing himself.
that's fascinating in a weird way.
he must be aware of doing so to some extent - question is, to what extent? not fully, i think.
namibed

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm

namibed wrote:i just realised that for me, for a long while now, this thread hasn't been about discussing the CoC and related topics, but about how Head_on_a_Stick keeps debasing himself.
Probably because everything that needed to be said was done so in about the first half-dozen posts.

that's fascinating in a weird way.
he must be aware of doing so to some extent - question is, to what extent? not fully, i think.
I imagine no one cares beyond the laughs they get.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 8th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Linus is back from holiday with a new email filter and is now receiving therapy.
Linus wrote:I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely.

^ So Linus agrees with me that unnecessarily aggressive and emotive content on the lists is detrimental to kernel development.

Linus wrote:We don't want the CoC [Code of Conduct] to define the tone of the discussion, I think we're actually much better off if we can just try to see the CoC as a last resort that never even gets invoked, simply because we encourage people to try to head any issues off before they escalate

I hope we can all agree with that :)

@namibed: stop being so ****ing precious, this is a popcorn thread, right?

I'm just trying to be as entertaining as possible :D
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 8th, 2018, 10:53 pm

He was definitely reigned in by the executives. Probably something like:
"Tone it down."
"I am trying to do a good job, not trying to kiss asses."
"Tone it down or you're fired."
"Okay."

Ten to one he will still be removed within three years. I would be surprised if he is not. Enjoy the popcorn as events continue to unfold.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby JohnDeere630 » November 8th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Ten to one he will still be removed within three years. I would be surprised if he is not. Enjoy the popcorn as events continue to unfold.

That seems to be the way of things. The person whose vision and ability allows the creation of something great from nothing is shoved out by the professional ass-kissers and bean counters. This is usually followed by the collapse of the project and cycles of acquisition, asset-mining and reselling until the bleached bones are eventually discarded.
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » November 9th, 2018, 7:06 am

JohnDeere630 wrote:This is usually followed by the collapse of the project and cycles of acquisition, asset-mining and reselling until the bleached bones are eventually discarded.

OK, who let Chicken Little out of the barn? :mrgreen:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 9th, 2018, 10:50 am

JohnDeere630 wrote:That seems to be the way of things. The person whose vision and ability allows the creation of something great from nothing is shoved out by the professional ass-kissers and bean counters. This is usually followed by the collapse of the project and cycles of acquisition, asset-mining and reselling until the bleached bones are eventually discarded.
That gives me a thought. Is it a coincidence that the introduction of the code of conduct, Torvalds being reigned in and IBM buying Red Hat all occurred at the same time? Hmm ...
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » November 9th, 2018, 2:13 pm

To sum all those pages up:
You can use proper language, and be much of an asshole.
You can use foul language, and be a nice guy.

I looked a few interviews with Linus T. at youtube, per chance, it was proposed by youtube. He sure is not what you would call an outstanding asshole, and he sure is not much of an hypocrite either.
Or he can hide both pretty well.
The grandma-nazis, on the other hand? They sure can't hide both well.
To each his own, but to someone like me their language is the most disgusting of all. And "stick in the ass" has shown that in the last weeks pretty well.

For fucks sake, don't be so damn anal about everything. Leave us a bit of air to breath. A ground to play.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 9th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:That gives me a thought. Is it a coincidence that the introduction of the code of conduct, Torvalds being reigned in and IBM buying Red Hat all occurred at the same time? Hmm ...

From the 2017 report, the top contributors, in terms of developers and their affiliations, were:

Company/Changes/%
Intel 10,833 13.1%
none 6,819 8.2%
Red Hat 5,965 7.2%
Linaro 4,636 5.6%
unknown 3,408 4.1%
IBM 3,359 4.1%
consultants 2,743 3.3%
Samsung 2,633 3.2%
SUSE 2,481 3.0%
Google 2,477 3.0%

So IBM and Red Hat combined were the second biggest contributors of developer time last year.

Also in the 2017 report:
The total number of patches signed off by Linus Torvalds (207, or 0.3 percent of the total) continues its long-term decline. That reflects the increasing amount of delegation to subsystem maintainers who do the bulk of the patch review and merging.

First 10 companies associated with the most sign offs:

Company/Signoffs/%
Red Hat 16,132 20.6%
Intel 7,589 9.7%
Linux Foundation 7,110 9.1%
Linaro 6,158 7.9%
Google 5,750 7.4%
none 3,073 3.9%
Samsung 2,938 3.8%
IBM 2,391 3.1%
SUSE 1,879 2.4%
AMD 1,838 2.4%

So only 207 of the 7110 Linux Foundation sign offs are by Torvalds.

Forgetting IBM, Red Hat's signing off of kernel patches alone is obviously very significant. More than twice that of the Linux Foundation.

Torvalds' decreasing importance and participation has been apparent for years. Sadly the kernel has outgrown him and is now a mostly corporate enterprise.

Intel are an obvious one due to the primary platform.... but of course, Samsung, google and Linaro all feature heavily as well.

You can almost detect the "tug of war" between the Android devices side and the enterprise server/cloud side. Well, two big parts of the latter just "joined forces" - and one could argue that Intel is certainly part of that "club".

This is all aside from and before you even consider, the make up of the board of directors, technical advisory board and the donors....

I doubt that Sharp and Poettering are the only "anti-Linus" developers among the throngs of these corporates...
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Nonsense