MS still up to the same old tricks...

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

MS still up to the same old tricks...

Postby cynwulf » January 18th, 2018, 2:47 pm

http://techrights.org/2018/01/18/microsoft-patent-extortion-in-cloud/

Yes, Microsoft is very “excited” about patent extortion against GNU/Linux. They just say it with a smile and euphemistically call it “Azure IP Advantage”.[...]

As Microsoft also controls some of the [patent] trolls, it can help determine who gets sued. The potential for abuse is vast.

Don’t expect Red Hat or Canonical or even the Linux Foundation to say anything about it. The Linux Foundation is far too busy sucking up to Microsoft this week, having received Microsoft cash for silence and complicity. Even when Microsoft attacks Linux with patents the Linux Foundation will say nothing at all because these attacks often come from proxies, just as the OIN’s CEO [Keith Bergelt] warned us a long time ago.
cynwulf

Re: MS still up to the same old tricks...

Postby dryden » February 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm

I can't help but think MIcrosoft is no great threat for Linux anymore.

I see more often oldschool people still clinging to a hatred of Microsoft, but the real dangers at least according to my person would be lurking in Red Hat nowadays.
dryden

Postby cynwulf » April 13th, 2018, 2:26 pm

cynwulf

Postby dryden » April 14th, 2018, 3:57 pm

cynwulf wrote:It's still going on (obviously)...

I'm just not interested in any website that uses the word "troll" to describe subsidiaries performing patent services on behalf of Microsoft.

I mean that's just my personal thing ;-).
dryden

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » April 15th, 2018, 7:38 am

The real villain in this story are the ridiculous patent laws. If patents were restricted to new inventions, instead of very minor modifications to already existing things, people like Microsoft would not be able to engage in such nonsense. Microsoft is simply taking advantage of the laws. Perhaps people should be campaigning for the laws to be changed, instead of campaigning for Microsoft to stop using the laws? (Although there is very little chance either would happen. Such is the screwed-up world we live in.)
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » April 15th, 2018, 6:43 pm

dryden wrote:
cynwulf wrote:It's still going on (obviously)...

I'm just not interested in any website that uses the word "troll" to describe subsidiaries performing patent services on behalf of Microsoft.

I mean that's just my personal thing ;-).

That's rather dismissive of you. "Patent trolling" is a common term for that kind of activity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll
https://www.eff.org/issues/resources-pa ... ll-victims
cynwulf

Postby dryden » April 22nd, 2018, 8:37 am

cynwulf wrote:That's rather dismissive of you. "Patent trolling" is a common term for that kind of activity.

Sure, but what's common is not necessarily helpful.

In general "troll" is a term flung at people who (in some debate) merely hold a position the other finds incredulous, and then often accusations of dishonesty or insincerity are laid down.

Funnily enough, it bears resemblance (real trolling) to playing the "devil's advocate" which is, of course, what you say those Microsoft thugs are doing.

Quite literally, you could say, they are the "devil's advocate".

They're just not playing pretense.

I agree with Randicus.

I also feel having to engage in law is the price of doing business, if the EFF or whatever can organize, you could easily build up a defense because if these attacks are general, then the defense can be general as well (a knowledge base).

To throw in something random, the 1973 oil embargo was a front created by Arab nations as part of some Egypt-Israeli war, which tended to have a pretty happy outcome, with the exception that Egypt's prime minister was assasinated because he agreed to a peace accord with Israel (which gave Egypt back the Sinai), but overall the outcome of the war was favourable to everyone.

If Microsoft has the funds to organize, then the free software people can also form a block, it would just require membership to some organisation.

I personally think "law" is not that terrible, I quite enjoy it myself.
dryden

Postby dryden » April 22nd, 2018, 8:45 am

But overall I mean that, Randicus is right if he implies that law in general works in favour of the attacker; I think courts tend to side with offense because the offense is the party that brings the cases (and thus the money), after all, courts charge money for cases.

And it gives them employment.

But the voices in our society against patents are rather weak, I mean we also do it to ourselves.

Not necessarily you and I, or whatever, but being strong from a legal perspective is a must, and education in law should really be more common (also for myself).
dryden

Postby dryden » April 22nd, 2018, 8:49 am

I mean just see it as a virus that strengthens the immune system, you know.

People in general are legally extremely weak.

You can blame the one who abuses you but it's really a question of personal (and perhaps group) empowerment.
dryden

Postby dryden » April 22nd, 2018, 8:55 am

"Law" is not something you should leave to legal professionals, is all I'm saying.
dryden

Next

Return to Nonsense