Decisions, decisions

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Decisions, decisions

Postby mharrison » February 5th, 2013, 2:00 am

So, I've got some disposable income to throw around....so I've decided that I am going to get a tablet....seeing as how I am the only one in my house without one.

But, I've got a big debate...do I get a Kindle Fire HD, or a Google Nexus 7....Being an Amazon Prime member, I am leaning towards the Kindle, but then I don't like being limited to just Kindle's app store, and to get around that, I would have to install a custom ROM on the Kindle, essentially turning it into a stock android table...ie..the Nexus 7...

What do you guys think...I've already got an android phone since I refused to get talked into an iphone...or should I just blow the money on beer and hookers?
mharrison

Re: Decisions, decisions

Postby jheaton5 » February 5th, 2013, 12:57 pm

I don't know anyone with either a Kindle Fire HD or a Nexus 7. All my friends have ipads. My Chromebook uses Chrome OS.
desktop: debian Sid / debian kernel 3.14-3 / Gnome
jheaton5

Postby traveler » February 5th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Nexus 7 destroys the Swindle Fire. I bought the boys one for xmas and it's an awesome device. That said, there may be a rev 2 of it released this summer with microSD slot and hdmi output. I bought the 32GB version and am perfectly satisfied with it as-is. I may buy another one this summer when the new verion drops, it will be the ultimate tablet if they add those 2 things.
My mom has a kinde fire, btw... She is envious of the Nexus 7 and wishes she got one of those instead. Kindle store is available for android if that matters at all to you.
Edit: If you have a droid handset with NFC capability, you can transfer/sync anything between the Nexus 7 and your phone. My crappy Stratosphere doesn't have NFC, but my next phone certainly will. Amazon store is available in google play, too. I can't think of a single good reason to even consider a kindle over it.
I just got kicked out of McDonalds...
traveler

Postby mharrison » February 6th, 2013, 1:17 am

The only advantage of the kindle fire over the nexus 7 is Amazon Prime VIdeo. Since they have flash blocked in anything newer than android 4.04, I have yet to find a good work around that doesn't require flash. With that said, I think I am going to end up getting the Nexus 7. Also going to get a 1 gig SODIMM for a laptop I recently aquired that I am running Crunchbang on. It sucks only having 470 megs of ram available to me. I mean Openbox uses 50 megs idle....that doesn't leave me much for doing anything else, lol. Anyways, I think I'm off to go order my Nexus 7. My wife does have a Kindle Fire, but she only reads books on it....I think once I get a tablet she is going to take back my Kindle Touch. I do like the eink display, but I have read horrible things about the Kindle Paperwhite...Seems to me that they will be releasing a version 2 soon to correct some display issues they seemed to have overlooked when producing it.
mharrison

Postby bmc5311 » February 6th, 2013, 3:55 am

mharrison wrote:...or should I just blow the money on beer and hookers?

you never go wrong with beer and hookers. ;)

get the nexus.
MacBook Air / sid amd64 / openbox
2006 mac mini / stable / openbox (paid $50 for it)...
broken hpdv6200 motherboard screwed to the wall in my garage / sid amd64 / gnome shell
http://img823.imageshack.us/i/garagecomputer.jpg/
bmc5311

Postby Rifester » February 6th, 2013, 8:12 pm

We have a Nexus 7 and really like it. I didn't think I would like the thing as much as I do...
Rifester

Postby traveler » February 7th, 2013, 1:33 pm

bmc5311 wrote:
mharrison wrote:...or should I just blow the money on beer and hookers?

you never go wrong with beer and hookers. ;)

QFT! :lol:
I just got kicked out of McDonalds...
traveler

Postby mharrison » February 8th, 2013, 2:22 am

OK, so I went with the nexus... I must say I like it better than the wife's kindle fire. Money well spent. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
mharrison

Return to Nonsense