which distro you all use now?

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

which distro you all use now?

Postby nodir » October 13th, 2018, 11:00 pm

or which OS?

I used Slackware for quite a while. Then ran debian on the powerpc (not much other options). Borked my Slack installation the other day, haven't used it for a whie anyway, and decided to replace it.
Found a FreeBSD installation on an old PC and liked it a lot. Installed Void first time, and like it too. Will probably stick to that one.
debian and the like do too much RAM for my specs when idling (would have to check, but i recall something like 150 MB right after startx, and even pure tty is close to 100 ).

The short answer: pretty much back to hopping.
nodir

Re: which distro you all use now?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 13th, 2018, 11:43 pm

I use OpenBSD -current almost exclusively at the moment.

The laptop (X201) dual-boots with Alpine Linux but their browsers are slightly out of date atm (even in the edge repositories) and anyway I've just completely broken it after reading the runit thread and running:
Code: Select all
# ln -sf /sbin/runit-init /sbin/init

^ This breaks Alpine Linux! :mrgreen:

nodir wrote:debian and the like do too much RAM for my specs when idling (would have to check, but i recall something like 150 MB right after startx, and even pure tty is close to 100 ).

Really?

I run dwm usually and this recent scrot shows ~62MiB used immediately after `startx` from a console login:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=678150#p678150

That's pretty good for a glibc-based distribution but Alpine can manage half that :cool:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 14th, 2018, 12:07 am

mhh. booted the laptop and did ssh to run ps_mem from tty then after i did startx there. Looks more like what you got:
23.7 MiB
and
66.4 MiB
Which does look ok to me. Might have been the powerpc, or i did ps_mem.py after using the gui for a while, then closing all apps but the terminal emulator.
nodir

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » October 14th, 2018, 1:25 am

Still using OpenBSD. It is reliable and does what I need it to do. So no hopping around, because at the moment I have no need to check out anything else. Although if I had a second computer I would like to take a look at NetBSD just to try it out. Maybe some day.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby namibed » October 14th, 2018, 3:50 pm

my server runs debian stable, on a 10 year old laptop, it and i couldn't be happier.
my desktop runs archlinux, and has for over 4 years!
it's not a philosophy or even religion for me; i've never been much of a distro-hopper really. i like to play, but not with whole distros. archlinux works and has been very stable for me, the archwiki rocks and i found out that the best help i can get with problems is from there, sometimes from reading the forums/www, and very rarely by asking a question myself.
namibed

Postby nodir » October 14th, 2018, 10:34 pm

The ones who still use debian don't dare saying it?
The new ubuntu, huh?
:-)
nodir

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 15th, 2018, 6:14 am

^ lol.

I still use Debian stable on the family laptop, it's been running smoothly without a hitch since it was installed during the early part of the jessie freeze.

I use btrfs so took a snapshot of the system and brought the snapshot through the `dist-upgrade` from jessie to stretch and I now have both jessie and stretch on the disk, which is pretty cool.

The folks here probably wouldn't like it very much: systemd-boot is used to bring the box up with systemd-networkd providing the ethernet & wireless (with seemless fallover between the two) and systemd-resolved providing a local, DNSSEC enabled nameserver :mrgreen:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 15th, 2018, 6:39 am

Is there any advantage in letting systemd handle it?
nodir

Postby cynwulf » October 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

I still use OpenBSD. But often mess with DragonFly BSD and FreeBSD also. Haven't really used Linux for quite a few years.
cynwulf

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

nodir wrote:Is there any advantage in letting systemd handle it?

For systemd-boot, probably not — I just got to like it when it was called gummiboot, before it was assimilated into Lennart's Borg Cube of an init system, and so continued to use it once it was subsumed. It's not as flexible as GRUB because it requires the kernel image & initrd to be on the EFI system partition, I have to use a custom kernel post-upgrade script to copy the images over manually. Back when it was called gummiboot Debian had it's own little abstraction mechanism to do this but they seem to have dropped that now, which is a shame.

In respect of systemd-networkd, I don't use GUI network managers and ifupdown seems to incur a startup delay on my box in comparison. It also keeps the connection if the wireless switch is toggled on the laptop, which is critical for a family laptop.

Systemd-resolved is absolutely superb — it provides most of the features of unbound but with about a fifth of the memory usage and with nicer command-line tools.

Overall I really appreciate the unified toolset provided by systemd; did I mention systemd-nspawn? :D
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Next

Return to Technical Talk