Trying OpenBSD

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Trying OpenBSD

Postby JohnDeere630 » February 2nd, 2016, 7:49 pm

golinux wrote:The conversation started with bricking HW then to sysvinit. The point I was trying to make is that sysvinit is NOT 'out-dated'.

I'm running on 2 hours of sleep. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I'm a little punchy. It'll pass. I'm getting too old for schedules like this.....
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Postby golinux » February 2nd, 2016, 8:33 pm

Take care and go get some zzzzzs
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby cynwulf » February 2nd, 2016, 10:39 pm

Oh well it's not for everyone. Actually once you get used to the basics, it's very robust and very easy to deal with - but it's not Debian of course.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 3rd, 2016, 12:47 am

JohnDeere630 wrote:Well, wireless is kicking my butt. ... Obviously, I'm missing something, but damned if I know what.
I bought a printer last week and am in the second day of trying to get it working. Same situation. There is probably one small detail that needs to be attended to, but damned if I can figure it out. Hopefully after a few more days of reading and experimentation I can discover that tiny detail and slap myself for taking so long to figure it out. Hopefully.

KDE? Seems to work for some people, but why? :lol:

OpenBSD is solid, but it's where Debian was 10 years ago, there is just too much jigging around with configuration files to get it to work.
Most things work well as-is or with a little configuration, but as we have both discovered, a few things require intensive user intervention. I would not say it is where Debian was ten years, but rather, the two systems have different users in mind. The BSDs cater less to the point-and-click crowd than Linux distributions do. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the attitude of OpenBSD's developers and users is similar to what Debian's was ten years ago? I was not using Debian ten years ago, but from what I have read here and there, I get the impression the attitude back then was similar to the current attitude in the BSD camp.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » February 3rd, 2016, 5:30 am

JohnDeere630 wrote:
golinux wrote:The conversation started with bricking HW then to sysvinit. The point I was trying to make is that sysvinit is NOT 'out-dated'.

I'm running on 2 hours of sleep. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I'm a little punchy. It'll pass. I'm getting too old for schedules like this.....

May well not be a problem of "lack of sleep".
sysinit being out of date and systemd being more modern focuses on problems most users neither have nor know about nor understand if they are getting informed about.
(looks to me as if most users wouldn't even use the init system at all. At least as far Debian is concerned: As soon you install a package, it gets automatically started during boot. Same for removal of a package. Duh. Some might start or stop services now and then, but with sysv-rc-config - perhaps there are even gui tools for it - this was hardly a deep-down-the-rabbit-hole operation).

btw: As far i know BSD-systems don't start services if they get installed. You might need to get used to that (iow: don't wonder if you install and it doesn't run automatically).
nodir

Postby JohnDeere630 » February 3rd, 2016, 6:48 am

nodir wrote:btw: As far i know BSD-systems don't start services if they get installed. You might need to get used to that (iow: don't wonder if you install and it doesn't run automatically).

Right. I don't have a problem with that, at all.

I ordered a BSD-supported wifi card, and when that gets here, I'll resume the experiment. I really like the package system, and generally, the hardware support is very good; the only thing I had a problem with is the wireless, although I have yet to try to get a printer working. I just forgot how much I don't miss manually editing configuration files..... :lol:
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Postby nodir » February 3rd, 2016, 8:20 am

doesn't look as if there would be that less problems in Linux when it comes to wireless.

I for one wouldn't consider BSD more difficult than Linux. Back in the days i got better answers in the Debian forum, the questions were answered more quickly, but those days are gone too. So, as far it's me, it doesn't matter which OS to choose.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » February 3rd, 2016, 10:18 am

JohnDeere630 wrote:
nodir wrote:btw: As far i know BSD-systems don't start services if they get installed. You might need to get used to that (iow: don't wonder if you install and it doesn't run automatically).

Right. I don't have a problem with that, at all.

I ordered a BSD-supported wifi card, and when that gets here, I'll resume the experiment. I really like the package system, and generally, the hardware support is very good; the only thing I had a problem with is the wireless, although I have yet to try to get a printer working. I just forgot how much I don't miss manually editing configuration files..... :lol:

wifi is easier to configure in OpenBSD than it is in other *BSDs. This is mainly because OpenBSD is "ready to go" as far as wifi is concerned and doesn't use wpa_supplicant. You should only need to setup your hostname.if and it should work (providing the hardware is supported).

There is not really such thing as "BSD supported". OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD all support different hardware. OpenBSD does not have any 802.11n support either, so you will have to use wireless g.
cynwulf

Postby JohnDeere630 » February 5th, 2016, 4:54 am

My wireless card arrived today, and getting it working was a lot easier than I expected. It almost set up itself. I had to add a file with a single line in /etc/host.athn0 and it worked like a charm. Wireless g isn't a problem for me, as my internet speed isn't that fast anyway, and I don't plan to swap huge files around.

It seems kde4 on openbsd is a cast-iron turd; bugs galore, and seemingly little desire to fix them. Maybe another year or so on that front. I am trying xfce again for the first time...I'm not sure if I like it or not yet...time will tell. Getting my HP printer to work is next on the project list.

My only real complaint is the relative scarcity of relevant trouble-shooting info. I got lazy with linux, just pasting the error into google and usually finding a solution. The same approach to OpenBSD isn't nearly as easy.
JohnDeere630

Postby nodir » February 5th, 2016, 6:30 am

My only real complaint is the relative scarcity of relevant trouble-shooting info. I got lazy with linux, just pasting the error into google and usually finding a solution. The same approach to OpenBSD isn't nearly as easy.

That was my main complaint in the other thread. And regarding all other distros i have looked into.
I don't care enough anymore to search for days or hours for a solution (for an easy problem, which you can fix in less than 3 seconds).

(gentoo is good when it comes to that question, the problem here is the amount of time upgrades and installations take. compiling still doesn't give me a boner, hence for me it is only a disadvantage)
nodir

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk