Ian Murdock has died at 42

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Ian Murdock has died at 42

Postby weedeater64 » December 30th, 2015, 8:15 pm

http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/30/debia ... ied-at-42/

Murdock’s Twitter account posted several tweets (PDF) on Monday that suggested he had been involved in an incident involving police, and one tweet said that he would commit suicide that night.

Understandable given what has been done to his baby... Choice removed etc...
weedeater64

Re: Ian Murdock has died at 42

Postby hjkdadg » December 31st, 2015, 3:08 pm

Ah, nothing is too low for the systemd hater fraction...
hjkdadg

Re: Ian Murdock has died at 42

Postby cynwulf » January 2nd, 2016, 9:42 pm

i know nothing of his personal life and that is not my concern. as with any deceased i feel for his family and may he rest in peace.

i do not believe his death is relevant to the debian community. yes he founded the project, but he left it after three years and moved on. for the current debian people someone like mark shuttleworth is more relevant to them. in the, kind of official, debian forum his death made a small thread with a few well wishers, one guy even thought that ian was still head honcho at the debian project. that probably says it all right?

if patrick v died the slackware community would be in crisis. sadly ian ceased to matter in the grand scheme of things after he stepped down, he is just a footnote (deborah and ian) in the projects history. does not make it less of a tragedy, but the tragedy is for the family and friends and loved ones not for some random linux users.
cynwulf

Return to Technical Talk