Debian 8 and systemd

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Debian 8 and systemd

Postby BowCatShot » March 19th, 2016, 12:56 pm

First of all dasein is an asshole.

That has to be the understatement of the year.
BowCatShot

Postby golinux » March 19th, 2016, 7:58 pm

dasein is one of my favs at FDN. Clarity of thought, razor sharp wit and droll sarcasm make his posts extremely entertaining in the otherwise bleak landscape of FDN.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby BowCatShot » March 20th, 2016, 12:34 am

Be careful, then. His obvious self loathing might be contagious.
BowCatShot

Postby golinux » March 20th, 2016, 12:45 am

BowCatShot wrote:Be careful, then. His obvious self loathing might be contagious.

We are all who we are. Some more conscious of that than others. I find him quite refreshing . . .
golinux

Postby nodir » March 20th, 2016, 7:57 pm

I for one can't see any clarity of thought or wit in posts like:
Google is your friend.

but then: perhaps i lack the needed inside knowledge of a) technical questions or b) the English language to get the most out of such verbal gems.
nodir

Postby golinux » March 20th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Sometimes that is the most appropriate answer. ;)
golinux

Postby cynwulf » March 21st, 2016, 9:16 am

Been pretty much out of the loop with computing as a whole for most of last year. Spend most of the weekends crawling around the floor with lego, cleaning up poo and cooking food - most of which ends up on the floor... but it's all good. And work is too busy for the old 'work posting' routine, which used to account for much of my participation...

For the last few months I've mostly used Slackware, but only for playing a few games and web browsing. OpenBSD might be my ideal/favourite OS and has been a great learning experience but it's just not that great for every day use where you just want to do stuff. I barely get time to boot it up these days... just not feeling too "militant" about software for now, especially when there are more important things going on in the world to get pissed off over than what init system you're running...

As to "forum personalities", I think there are those for whom this is "everything" and where they strive to prove or project some kind of persona, whereas people who are actually strong, content and confident individuals in real life don't need to do that. Anyone can appear to be anything online and those who come on strong in appearing to be a certain type of character are likely to be the complete opposite away from the keyboard.

It's always bothered me how new users are treated on forums like these. Yes there are trolls and idiots who really do deserve quite a bit of flackt - and I was one of those who would gladly dish it out a few years ago - but this inevitably leads to a culture of forum bullies and their groupies of hecklers, who seemingly derive pleasure in exposing and ridiculing someone's ineptitude. This is what I, and may others, find particularly unsavoury and what lends weight to the argument that Linux user demographic is largely made up of the stereotypical cretinous basement dweller.
cynwulf

Postby nodir » March 21st, 2016, 9:18 pm

Now that is a post i call worth reading.
Even if one says something already said, one should try to put a bit of salt into saying it (to say it in a new way).
And sure what is said by cynwulf is one of the reasons i really don't care much for forums or irc channels anymore.

No need to tell someone that google knows the answer. Don't answer at all, and he sure will use google on his own. That would be a smart move (but you won't end up with thousands of posts ... ).
nodir

Postby nodir » March 21st, 2016, 9:20 pm

cynwulf wrote:For the last few months I've mostly used Slackware, but only for playing a few games and web browsing. OpenBSD might be my ideal/favourite OS and has been a great learning experience but it's just not that great for every day use where you just want to do stuff. I barely get time to boot it up these days... just not feeling too "militant" about software for now, especially when there are more important things going on in the world to get pissed off over than what init system you're running...

I used Salix for quite a while. It is still on my list as a distro which does the job without me having to do much work. aka user-friendly.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » March 22nd, 2016, 12:16 pm

nodir wrote:Now that is a post i call worth reading.

I must be getting old if I'm finally beginning to make sense...

nodir wrote:Even if one says something already said, one should try to put a bit of salt into saying it (to say it in a new way).
And sure what is said by cynwulf is one of the reasons i really don't care much for forums or irc channels anymore.

I do tech support for a living and deal with ranting and complaining on a daily basis - mostly from people who refuse to put in the time and effort to help themselves. Nothing I see on the forums, in terms of people asking for help, is any worse than what I have to deal with... it's actually just human nature and just how normal people are - and a few grouches on a few forums are never going to succeed in "reprogramming" the average person to become the perfect forum user who searches first, etc - let alone change the world.

It's probably fair to say that the grouches would have little left to do if these types of users ceased to exist. You're talking about with a few individuals, with zero to average ability, who do what they do as a "sport". That probably says it all.

nodir wrote:No need to tell someone that google knows the answer. Don't answer at all, and he sure will use google on his own. That would be a smart move (but you won't end up with thousands of posts ... ).

I suppose it passes the time...

nodir wrote:I used Salix for quite a while. It is still on my list as a distro which does the job without me having to do much work. aka user-friendly.

Slackware and Salix tends to deter the zealous types and mostly attracts user who just want a usable system. As a bonus, it doesn't use systemd, so that should appeal to some as well.
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk