Debian 8 and systemd

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Debian 8 and systemd

Postby nodir » March 22nd, 2016, 7:14 pm

I also am looking for a way to read and write in English, to have some fun.
The Salix community doesn't seem to be very active, so that is what i missed (or am missing).
Else it worked out of box. The few things i had to adapt were either found via searchmachine or answered in IRC
Well: mainly slapt-get and slapt-src made the usage for me very easy ... :-) I wasn't able to figure out the init system, but the same is valid for gentoo. And as far debian is concerned, i mainly used and use sysv-rc-conf (not that hard to use a searchengine and figure out how to start or stop processes .... it's just that for sysv i don't have to look it up).

Weird so few seem to use it.
Put the CD or the stick in the tray, install in the blink of an eye and you are ready to go ...
nodir

Postby cynwulf » March 22nd, 2016, 10:17 pm

nodir wrote:I wasn't able to figure out the init system

If it's exactly the same as Slackware's, then it's a case of changing whether the rc script is executable or not and editing inittab as required.

rc scripts are started/stopped/restarted in the usual manner e.g.

Code: Select all
# /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start

So pretty simple stuff really.
cynwulf

Postby nodir » March 23rd, 2016, 6:57 pm

I seem to remember. I was pointed to the Slackware docu (and sure enough i got it sorted quickly).
No one could give me the name of the init system (i asked, and the answer was: The same as Slackware ... Probably rc).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » March 23rd, 2016, 10:20 pm

As far as I know it's still the same as Slackware, unless that changed recently. Slackware uses the sysvinit (v2.88) daemon, as traditionally used in almost all Linux distributions up until a few years ago. But instead of using sysvinit style scripts, it used "BSD-style" rc scripts.
cynwulf

Previous

Return to Technical Talk