Still looking...

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Still looking...

Postby Lou » March 11th, 2015, 1:04 am

I've been looking for a distro to replace Debian with systemd.

Anything based on debian/kde/gnome is out!

Tried slackware 14.1 but it didn't come with slapt-get, slackbuilds put me to sleep.

Absolute Linux based on slackware 14.1 (current) doesn't come with nano nor you can install it from the repos, more taliban than the original slack.

Vector (slackware) has NOT been tried.

Salix 14.1 with Fluxbox is fast and easy to install (5 minutes). Comes with slapt-get, gslapt. sourcery for slackbuilds, and last but not least: spi which installs binary packages and slackbuilds. The repos are fairly fast.
I installed icewm and jwm, and menumaker...no sweat, even for a slow sexagenarian like yours truly. Comes with alsa, firefox, etc.
Best of the slackware bunch, IMHO.
Debian Jessie w/o systemd - icewm
Lou

Re: Still looking...

Postby nauved » March 11th, 2015, 2:02 am

Devuan is coming along nicely. Check out the projects.

An alpha for developers was released last week.

There is a quarterly report due out end of the month.

Codenames will be based on names of minor planets. How cool is that!
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Postby mean_dean » March 11th, 2015, 3:37 am

Lou wrote:I've been looking for a distro ....

I went thru a number of distros and concluded I still prefer debian. In fact I found that eliminating all the junk makes me feel more like I am using the debian that I feel in love with.

I have actually run into some problems using systemd, even when it is not init. At least one problem seems to occur even if it is only the libs installed although it could be something related rather than the libs themselves. Still trying to track it down. But I am back to avoiding systemd like the plague but hold no animosity/judgement toward it. It seems to work and work very well for many users especially those users that like full-blown-automagic systems.

I was worried about the future possibility of using debian without systemd but concluded that the day it truly isn't possible to use debian without systemd it will likely be the same day that every other distro requires it too. So I have decided debian is about as good of a distro as any other. I don't like the hoops I have to go thru to get it to a point I like though. But I plan to roll up a base system image that is devoid of systemd and configured to block it so I don't have to jump thru the hoops every time I want to do a new install.

That being said, installing and using openbsd is easier and simpler than jumping thru those hoops...
mean_dean

Postby cynwulf » March 11th, 2015, 9:21 am

Lou wrote:Tried slackware 14.1 but it didn't come with slapt-get, slackbuilds put me to sleep.

Slackbuilds can seem a bit cumbersome. For me it got tedious eventually and I much prefer the FreeBSD ports system.

Lou wrote:Salix 14.1 with Fluxbox is fast and easy to install (5 minutes). Comes with slapt-get, gslapt. sourcery for slackbuilds, and last but not least: spi which installs binary packages and slackbuilds. The repos are fairly fast.
I installed icewm and jwm, and menumaker...no sweat, even for a slow sexagenarian like yours truly. Comes with alsa, firefox, etc.
Best of the slackware bunch, IMHO.

Salix is seen as the mint/buntu of Slackware. Perhaps, easier for the noob to get into, preconfigured desktops and more package management automation, but the similarity ends there. The Salix repositories can also be used in Slackware. It seems like a decent enough choice.
cynwulf

Postby anticapitalista » March 11th, 2015, 10:08 am

antiX! antiX-15 (not MX) will come with nosystemd. Alphas are available, beta very soon.
anticapitalista

Postby mean_dean » March 14th, 2015, 12:12 am

no shame in a shameless plug :)
mean_dean

Postby anticapitalista » March 15th, 2015, 10:02 pm

mean_dean wrote:no shame in a shameless plug :)

Indeed! But Lou has used antiX in the past and has written some tutorial posts for us too.
anticapitalista

Return to Technical Talk