Crunchbang calls it quits.

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Crunchbang calls it quits.

Postby nauved » February 6th, 2015, 4:21 pm

The attrition of Debian derivatives begins. Welcome to the brave new Linux world.

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 ... 7f.en.html
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Re: Crunchbang calls it quits.

Postby cynwulf » February 6th, 2015, 9:08 pm

I'm afraid the mailing list poster contradicts himself, or doesn't read his own quotes... and comes to the conclusions he wants to come to. I would suggest reading the forum post by the crunchbang guy instead:
I’m leaving it behind because I honestly believe that it no longer holds any value, and whilst I could hold on to it for sentimental reasons, I don’t believe that would be in the best interest of its users, who would benefit from using vanilla Debian.

He seems to think that crunchbang users would benefit from just using Debian instead of crunchbang - and in fact he's correct.

crunchbang started out as a respin of butnut with openbox, it eventually moved to a Debian base, but you can pretty easily recreate it by just installing Debian, openbox a panel, some lxde/xfce bits and setting things up how you want, etc.

systemd doesn't even come into it - unless you take into consideration that he advises his users to migrate to the parent distro which will use systemd as default on the next release...
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 7th, 2015, 1:05 am

On the CrunchBang forum he states:
When I first started working on CrunchBang, the Linux landscape was a very different place and whilst I honestly didn’t know if there was any value to it, I knew there was a place for CrunchBang on my own systems. As it turned out, there seemed to be quite a demand for it on other people’s systems too. I’m not entirely sure why this was the case, but if I had to guess, I would say that it was probably due to the lack of competition/alternatives of the same ilk. If I’m remembering correctly, at the time, there was no LXDE tasksel in Debian and certainly no Lubuntu around. CrunchBang filled a gap and that was nifty.
So it appears that the larger distributions are now offering systems similar to his, which means less of a need for his. Without researching the issue more in depth, I see nothing nefarious. Someone created a small distribution to serve a certain demographic of users; eventually some of the large distros moved to serve the same demographic; the almost inevitable result of competition is the disappearance of some of the players. In such cases, the ones to disappear will usually be the small players. Judging from the founder's words, he does not feel it is worth competing with Lubuntu when Debian users can configure their system to be just like CrunchBang. It is likely that more small Debian and Ubuntu derivatives will disappear for the same reasons. Systemd will not be a factor.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby mean_dean » February 7th, 2015, 2:07 am

I never really 'got' crunchbang so I wont really miss it but at least it was close enough to pure debian to be an acceptable possibility.
mean_dean

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 7th, 2015, 5:16 am

Apparently it was one of the first, or first, to fill a niche that is now crowded. I gather from the maker's post on the CrunchBang forum that his vision was similar to Lubuntu. I do not know how similar the two are, but that was the impression I got. So it is not surprising that people who know how to configure Debian to be like CrunchBang never "got CrunchBang."
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby mean_dean » February 9th, 2015, 8:17 pm

I can't help but think that the adoption of systemd for Jessie and
beyond played some role here.

no
mean_dean

Postby cynwulf » February 9th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Ah but clearly he was gotten to by the men in the fedoras...
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 9th, 2015, 11:17 pm

The end of CrunchBang demonstrates the one concern I have always had about Slackware. When a distribution is a one-person project, what happens if the person behind it dies, gets too ill to continue, must stop for personal reasons or just decides to quit?
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » February 9th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Well what happens to OpenBSD if the same happens to Theo de Raadt?

Same with the Linux kernel...

Yes these should continue, but it could completely go to shit once "the old king" passes on (and often does). Some projects actually survive and thrive by the sheer will of the strong personalities behind them.

No disrespect whatsoever to the crunchbang guy, but at the end of the day it was not a distribution, just a desktop customisation... same with Linux Mint and quite a few more...
cynwulf

Postby mean_dean » February 9th, 2015, 11:52 pm

yea I have seen projects with more than one dev die when the king passes....and some continue with new leadership.....so not sure the number matters but whether the interest and skill is there....

although obviously crunchbang was one guys tweaks shared with others so I really don't see that anyone has anything to complain about it coming to an end

heck all a crunchbang user has to do is dist-upgrade and keep on crunchin
mean_dean

Next

Return to Technical Talk