Interview: Lennart Poettering

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Interview: Lennart Poettering

Postby cynwulf » February 3rd, 2015, 9:38 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:But how many changes do they make? They are not redesigning the entire OS. To me it is more analogous to tweaking than releasing. But I could be wrong.

They make as many changes as need to be made - all laid out in the release notes and summarised in the release announcements.

http://www.openbsd.org/56.html
cynwulf

Postby mean_dean » February 3rd, 2015, 9:48 am

I never thought about that but I guess thats true that projects do add things. It just seems odd in regards to systemd swallowing up the functionality of other things. Seems even more odd when they decide to drop things.

http://ma.ttias.be/whats-new-systemd-2015-edition/
read ahead implementation dropped: in the age of SSDs the benefit is not big enough to have this. All systemd developers have SSDs and no more spinning disks, nobody could/wanted to support this anymore. The idea was to read-ahead the bits needed during the boot process and remember it next time, for faster boots. But with SSDs, this support is dropped.

Are they dropping ALL read ahead or only dropping read ahead for SSDs? I can't quite decide which....
mean_dean

Postby cynwulf » February 3rd, 2015, 9:53 am

They dropped their read ahead code completely apparently because they all use SSDs. It only applies to systemd and faster boots.
cynwulf

Postby mean_dean » February 3rd, 2015, 11:04 am

that seems a bit extreme...

I thought maybe a language issue made it sound like read ahead code was dropped completely but actually meant to say that IF you are using SSD then read ahead is pointless so it is dropped in that case.
mean_dean

Postby cynwulf » February 3rd, 2015, 3:24 pm

It's a boot optimisation thing, most sane (non-fanboi) people couldn't care less about fast boots. If they do, then it's likely that they're running the wrong OS.
cynwulf

Previous

Return to Technical Talk