The Machine

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

The Machine

Postby jheaton5 » January 10th, 2015, 6:13 pm

The Machine: The Future of Computing

Watch the two videos. This project really got my adrenaline flowing.
jheaton5

Re: The Machine

Postby tomazzi » July 4th, 2015, 9:39 am

Technically, they've "forgot" to mention about memory read-write barriers, or more generally: how they're going to solve inter-process memory access synchronisation. This is the *real* problem today, and not the speed or amount of memory available nor the speed of cluster interconnections.

Nice vision, but still - just a vision.

btw: memristors: something like a 15 years ago I've used so-called F-RAM chips in my circuits (as a replacement for EEPROMs) - nothing really new, just higher scale of integration.

On the other hand, I wonder: do they really want to take away computing power from user's hardware and put it into a central monstrous supercomputer?
...where did I heard about this before...

Regards.
tomazzi

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » July 5th, 2015, 12:01 am

In the related articles, Gizmodo uses a terrible title: HP Invented a New Computer That Could Make Data Obsolete. How can data be made obsolete? A datum is a piece of information.

The Machine. Terrible name. They could have come up with a better one. Photonic Data Manipulation (Phodaman) or Photonic Data Computation (Phodacom) :D

tomazzi wrote:Nice vision, but still - just a vision.

They believe they can have a working model in "a few years." Of course, I do not know what they consider short and long time spans.

On the other hand, I wonder: do they really want to take away computing power from user's hardware and put it into a central monstrous supercomputer?
If the machine is as powerful and small as they hope to make it, a central computer in a building full of terminals would be viable.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby tomazzi » July 5th, 2015, 9:31 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:If the machine is as powerful and small as they hope to make it, a central computer in a building full of terminals would be viable.

I'm affraid that this is not the point here - they are talking about reducing cost and energy consumption of all mobile devices, by "ensuring" that all the processing will be done by the central computer. In other words, this means a total control of the user.
This also means, that in HP's vision all the manufacturers will just made a backends (or terminals) for the great HP central supercomputer.

Of course the cloud technology exists today, but this is still an option - You don't have to use it. With HP "vision of future" there will be simply no choice.

But there's also another, funny aspect of the situation: This is an old practice, that if a company have lost bilions of $$$ on developing some hyper-technology, and when the results are shitty, the only way to go is to proclaim a success...
...because in this way, some peoples will keep their chairs, at least for few next years... :)

Regards.
tomazzi

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » July 5th, 2015, 10:42 am

Using such computers as super clouds for people carrying around screens without processors would not be good, but in an office or office building, it would be a good thing. Like the mainframes of old, but more powerful.

tomazzi wrote:But there's also another, funny aspect of the situation: This is an old practice, that if a company have lost bilions of $$$ on developing some hyper-technology, and when the results are shitty, the only way to go is to proclaim a success...
...because in this way, some peoples will keep their chairs, at least for few next years... :)
:?
Are you saying the project has already failed and IBM is claiming it is a success? I thought they were still at the beginning.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby tomazzi » July 5th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Using such computers as super clouds for people carrying around screens without processors would not be good, but in an office or office building, it would be a good thing. Like the mainframes of old, but more powerful.

Yes, maybe - but they are not talking about office buildings - the presentation shows whole cities connected to each other, managed by "the great HP supercomputer".

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Are you saying the project has already failed and IBM is claiming it is a success? I thought they were still at the beginning.

No. I just don't know.
But, D-Wave have presented the quantum computer after it was ready and tested, not just after they created first working q-bit.
HP on the other hand prepared a very nice presentation, in which they silently omitting few key technical problems ;)
tomazzi

Postby jheaton5 » July 11th, 2015, 4:27 pm

jheaton5

Postby tomazzi » September 7th, 2015, 10:48 pm

1. This article doesn't change anything, besides proclaiming a division of the company.
2. No further promises regarding the development of their "technology" - whatever it could be...
3. The SSD technology has few obvious flaws (especially the data retension time) - and HP have completely no idea how to solve this in case of "memristors" technology...
4. They have completely no idea of how to solve inter-process communication - currently available techniques are not valid for their vision of next-generation computers.

But, foremost, the whole noise about their "new computing technology" is a result of the fact, that D-Wave quantum computers have showed up to be ~30 times faster than fastest HP supercomputer, while using 10 times less energy... (oh, crap, lets do something - let's start with advertisements...)

But, HP is not alone - f.e. Intel (which is manufacturing the most crappy CPUs in the world for decades) made a deal with TILERA - where TILERA have promised that they will not sell their awesome CPUs to the end-users...

Regards.
tomazzi

Postby jheaton5 » September 8th, 2015, 12:35 pm

tomazzi wrote:1. This article doesn't change anything, besides proclaiming a division of the company.
2. No further promises regarding the development of their "technology" - whatever it could be...
3. The SSD technology has few obvious flaws (especially the data retension time) - and HP have completely no idea how to solve this in case of "memristors" technology...
4. They have completely no idea of how to solve inter-process communication - currently available techniques are not valid for their vision of next-generation computers.

But, foremost, the whole noise about their "new computing technology" is a result of the fact, that D-Wave quantum computers have showed up to be ~30 times faster than fastest HP supercomputer, while using 10 times less energy... (oh, crap, lets do something - let's start with advertisements...)

But, HP is not alone - f.e. Intel (which is manufacturing the most crappy CPUs in the world for decades) made a deal with TILERA - where TILERA have promised that they will not sell their awesome CPUs to the end-users...

Regards.

You seem to know a lot about this issue. Perhaps you could backup your knowledge (statements) with some references?
jheaton5

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » September 8th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Especially the Tilera deal. That would be worth reading up on.
Randicus Draco Albus

Next

Return to Technical Talk