Devuan release roadmap

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Devuan release roadmap

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 24th, 2015, 9:02 pm

and now require account registration to see what's going on...
I am glad to see I am not the only one who finds that a little odd. A community distro that restricts (hides) development news to members only? I did not look closely enough to see if membership requires a donation.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby mean_dean » January 25th, 2015, 3:10 am

I still wish them the best.

But I just don't see a need for what they planned to do, as far as complete cloning of debian. And I doubt they have enough help to accomplish that either.

I like them being a gathering point, providing resources, sharing info, and so forth. I think I would arranged a team, hopefully with Adam Borowski as lead, to create/maintain a repo of packages that allow a user to avoid systemd and still have a complete system. Then maybe a few people to roll up some install images for Jessie. Then, if we had more workers with free time, investigate possible udev replacements. I would not of bothered with working on a systemd replacement as recreating the wheel to put it back on the gnome car seems doubly pointless.

That being said, I may be off the mark and they may know, or even excel, at letting people go their own direction and then be masters at pulling it all together to do what needs to be done. Props to them, if so. I certainly could not do it especially considering how fast things move in linuxland nowadyas.

Nah, they dont require a donation for anything. I didnt like having to create an account though....aggravating....of course a fake email and a couple clicks and it was done but still...
mean_dean

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 25th, 2015, 3:54 am

I could not be bothered to register an account just to read progress reports.
And I repeat, I find it very odd.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby fsmithred » January 25th, 2015, 8:20 pm

There's a progress report every week along with ongoing discussions on the dng list. It's not like they're sitting around watching tv while the big bucks roll in. No registration needed.
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/list/dng.en.html
fsmithred

Postby mean_dean » January 25th, 2015, 9:23 pm

fsmithred wrote:There's a progress report every week

There is? Does it actually describe the goals and progress on those goals? I must of missed that info.

along with ongoing discussions

Yea plenty of those on all sorts of topics but nothing saying this and this is done, still need to do that, needing help with this, etc. At least I havent seen that info.

It's not like they're sitting around watching tv while the big bucks roll in.

What are they doing? Who is doing what? Who is involved? If those involved aren't going to say who they then why on earth would anyone trust them?

Sorry, but before you ask for my money, show me how much you love doing something. Any project that asks for money to get started makes me think it is all about the money, not for the love of it, not for the fun of it, not even for the necessity of it - just purely the money. And if the money stops then so does the progress. Feels like a ransom situation...

I have no problems with those projects, or the people that give those projects money, but I do reserve the right to state what I think about it...
mean_dean

Postby cynwulf » January 25th, 2015, 11:12 pm

I don't think it matters what we think of Devuan, however we are free to be sceptical until they start to produce something.

So aside from slagging the project mercilessly, which no one here is doing, healthy scepticism is ok.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » January 25th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Publishing their progress regularly on their website would go a long way to dispel scepticism. It may not be intentional, but the way they are doing it effectively hides what progress is or is not being achieved.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby mean_dean » January 28th, 2015, 8:41 pm

The funny thing is that the one person that I have confidence in seems to be dismissed and/or ignored the most...his practical solutions just aren't radical enough for that crowd...

Yea, I would like to see some actual progress or at least the discussion of the on going work/progress....maybe I am missing it though.
mean_dean

Postby nauved » February 11th, 2015, 4:00 am

Jaromil posted some interesting updates today. I found this one encouraging. Also there are a few of us volunteering to integrate the look of the Devuan site, communications, bootloader and DE.
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 18th, 2015, 11:55 pm

16 Feb.:
Over the weekend I've assessed the first minimal group of packages,
> processed them via the new Devuan SDK and committed them on our
> packages-base git
About systemd extirpation: the real culprit is bsdutils, aka util-linux,
> that Debian has tied to systemd because of the logger. What a paradox to
> have 'bsdutils' bound to systemd.... however...
>
> I'm still in an early stage of development and haven't yet completed the
> SDK with functions to test the installer, however this is my current
> approach at cleaning up util-linux, touching as less as possible
I do not think they will meet the end of January deadline. Perhaps a base system available in April?

By the way, happy Chinese new year!
Randicus Draco Albus

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk