The Borg will prevail

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: The Borg will prevail

Postby jheaton5 » December 19th, 2014, 9:19 pm

golinux wrote:...if Linus would start squawking . . . that's another story . . .
Linus has already said he doesn't care. No comments are coming from Richard Stallman either. Systemd is a done deal.
jheaton5

Postby golinux » December 19th, 2014, 9:35 pm

jheaton5 wrote:
golinux wrote:...if Linus would start squawking . . . that's another story . . .
Linus has already said he doesn't care. No comments are coming from Richard Stallman either. Systemd is a done deal.

Yeah, I know that but keep hoping Linus will get with it and change his mind . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby cynwulf » December 20th, 2014, 12:14 am

Torvalds never objected to his kernel being used for Android - in fact he is positively ecstatic about it. So don't hold out any hope for him taking a stand against systemd.
cynwulf

Postby jheaton5 » December 20th, 2014, 3:25 pm

What Linus actually said was that he had no interest in user space.
jheaton5

Postby cynwulf » December 20th, 2014, 7:20 pm

cynwulf

Postby Buntunub » December 20th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Linus has only ever given a shit about the kernel. He ejected the kdbus developer from having upload rights over kdbus because it is a buggy piece of crap and because said developer does not know how to produce something that is not a buggy piece of crap.
Buntunub

Postby cynwulf » December 20th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I don't remember reading about Greg KH's commit rights being revoked?

The project was in fact systemd and the developer in question was Kay Sievers.

I fully understand the dislike of systemd, but perhaps try to keep it fact based?
cynwulf

Postby Buntunub » December 21st, 2014, 7:50 am

cynwulf wrote:I don't remember reading about Greg KH's commit rights being revoked?

The project was in fact systemd and the developer in question was Kay Sievers.

I fully understand the dislike of systemd, but perhaps try to keep it fact based?

Well, I base that off of Linus's post about Kay Sievers in which he said as much. Greg was never mentioned in it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/05 ... s_dust_up/

"Key, [sic] I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the problems you cause," Torvalds fumed, adding that he wouldn't merge any more of Sievers' code into the kernel until he cleans up his act.

and..
He later added on a Google+ thread, "So this really really doesn't make me want to ever work with Kay Sievers, because this all just reinforces the fact that he just doesn't care if his changes cause other projects pain."

Yes, it was about Systemd.
Buntunub

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 21st, 2014, 8:14 am

Yes, it was about Systemd.
Unfortunately, many Linux users misinterpret Torvald's anger with the sloppy work of one or two systemd developers as indicating his opposition to systemd. :shock: :?
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby Buntunub » December 21st, 2014, 6:36 pm

I think what that interview sheds light on is the Systemd people's rush to get code out the door without really spending the time/trouble to QA it properly, which takes a lot of time and effort, and for most of us, is something we really do not enjoy very much. While Lennart and crew seem to have no qualms about releasing patches to fix their fucked up code later, that again shows a pattern of sloppiness that is unprofessional, and worse case, downright destructive. It once again shines a huge spotlight on Debians decision to move to Systemd and makes this decision even more questionable. For starters, why would Debian even want to take on such pain, knowing that by taking on such a buggy mess that it will greatly prolong the freeze periods between stable releases, and at worse, make Sid unusable over and over again as they merge in shitty code that will have to be extensively debugged? Makes less and less sense the more you look into it.
Buntunub

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk