Fundraising now open for Debian Fork

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Fundraising now open for Debian Fork

Postby mean_dean » December 26th, 2014, 1:32 am

omg...where to start...

What was he busting his ass on before he got the new laptop? How long before some of this amazing work results in something more than talk or something more than what can easily be accomplished with a few apt-get commands using actual debian?

I could go on and on about a lot of things but honestly it would be a waste of time and energy so I will leave you to your miracle cure....wish you and them the best...
mean_dean

Postby golinux » December 26th, 2014, 2:25 am

Devuan = holy water (hopefully)
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 26th, 2014, 4:16 am

golinux wrote:Devuan = miracle tonic (Those cure-all charlatan mixtures sold in the U.S. in the late 1800s.)
Fixed it for you. :D
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby golinux » December 26th, 2014, 4:37 am

I may go down with the ship but won't abandon it until it abandons me.
golinux

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 26th, 2014, 4:56 am

Switching to Devuan would be abandoning the Debian ship, would it not?
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby golinux » December 26th, 2014, 5:59 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Switching to Devuan would be abandoning the Debian ship, would it not?

Sheesh. I've already abandoned the Debian Jessie ship and will probably never use wheezy for production since they slipped in some systemd shit. Hoping to go straight from squeeze LTS to Devuan (via fresh install). So I am currently on the Devuan ship heading into the future. If Devuan fails there are still other but less attractive options as you well know.
golinux

Postby mean_dean » December 26th, 2014, 7:02 am

My thought is that if devuan suceeds in its goals then it will be NOT debian. But there are already distros that are NOT debian. So if I am going to use NOT debian I would rather use a distro that has been around a while rather than a new startup.

just sayin...
mean_dean

Postby golinux » December 26th, 2014, 8:14 am

mean_dean wrote:My thought is that if devuan suceeds in its goals then it will be NOT debian. But there are already distros that are NOT debian. So if I am going to use NOT debian I would rather use a distro that has been around a while rather than a new startup.

just sayin...

That's very true. But Devuan wants to provide a seamless life-raft to carry those not wanting to move to a systemd infected jessie to a safe, uncontaminated place. They want to offer that service. They realize that after Jessie, it might be impossible to keep ties with Debian because of the 'entanglements'. At that point, it will become more independent and a distro in its own right.
golinux

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 26th, 2014, 8:59 am

golinux wrote:They realize that after Jessie, it might be impossible to keep ties with Debian because of the 'entanglements'. At that point, it will become more independent and a distro in its own right.
Which again raises the question, why bother? If they will veer away and develop something different, why begin by untangling a mess? It makes more sense to start with something different. Besides, a Debian derivative will always be a Debian derivative. They will not be able to change it that much, and since their goal is to provide a seamless transition from Wheezy to Devaun, they will still be fully dependent on what Debian does and greatly limit their ability to innovate. Good luck to them, but a much better idea would be to build on a Debian base meant to be different than the parent from the beginning. Realistically, the choice is to use Debian or not use it. Perhaps the Devuan development team would be better off taking over Debian's kfreebsd project? Just a thought.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby golinux » December 26th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Good grief. Did you not read this:
. . . Devuan wants to provide a seamless life-raft to carry those not wanting to move to a systemd infected jessie to a safe, uncontaminated place.

This will be accomplished via a dist-upgrade. If you were to read their mailing list you would be aware of the innovation that is going on and will be implemented in Devuan 1- like udev and dbus replacements.
golinux

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk