suggest other distros a debianite might be interested in

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

suggest other distros a debianite might be interested in

Postby notthatguy » July 11th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Anyone have a good suggestion or two?

I would like a simple system that is easy to understand and know what everything is and how to manage/tweak it.

I want a small and basic core install (few hundred mb at most) that I can build upon.

No crazy dependencies. For example if I want the xfce-panel I do not expect xfwm, xfburn, etc to be required.

I don't really want to compile stuff but I do not necessarily need sophisticated package management either. Something like dpkg is probably more than plenty although I would not object to something like apt as long as I can workaround the dependencies if I choose to do so. Something in between is fine and dandy.

Any suggestions?
notthatguy

Re: suggest other distros a debianite might be interested in

Postby FretfulMother » July 11th, 2013, 2:57 pm

for a couple of days i fooled with dragora. compiling from source is straightforward. it seems to be kiss like. As far i can tell it aint based on a non-free distro, but stands on its own feet. New version expected to be out soon. kelsoo might tell you more.
FretfulMother

Postby notthatguy » July 11th, 2013, 3:25 pm

FretfulMother wrote:...couple of days....fooled with....compiling......

sounds about what I would end up doing...and then dragging my ass back to debian :D
notthatguy

Postby golinux » July 11th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Doesn't Refracta meet those requirements? Or is it still too "fully-featured"?
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby cynwulf » July 11th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Slackware.
cynwulf

Postby notthatguy » July 11th, 2013, 4:11 pm

nah I dont consider refracta to be a different distro anyway and yea it is rather bloaty
notthatguy

Postby notthatguy » July 11th, 2013, 4:12 pm

cynwulf wrote:Slackware.

yea i hoped that would pop up...

now tell me more ;)
notthatguy

Postby cynwulf » July 11th, 2013, 6:06 pm

notthatguy wrote:I would like a simple system that is easy to understand and know what everything is and how to manage/tweak it.

Slackware tried to stick to the KISS principles - i.e. software that can be easily configured by the user by way of plain text configuration (so no grub/2). It uses it's own BSD style init system and is extremely solid and robust. Even package management tools are scripts which can be edited if you wish.

notthatguy wrote:I want a small and basic core install (few hundred mb at most) that I can build upon.

You can have both worlds. Unless disk space is a huge problem, you can perform a full install and Slackware will not be any more bloated. This is because installing a package does not mean setting services/daemons to run on startup. This also means that most of the apps, development tools and sources are there from the start. If disk space is an issue, leaving out KDE will usually solve that in a single stroke. Bear in mind that everything Slackware has to offer (the whole distro, repos the lot) fits on a single DVD.

notthatguy wrote:No crazy dependencies. For example if I want the xfce-panel I do not expect xfwm, xfburn, etc to be required.

There is no dependency resolution, thus dependencies are very conservative - i.e. exactly what you need to get something to work and nothing more.

slackpkg works similarly to apt-get in that it fetches packages from the slackware repo and installs them. pkgtool (installpkg, removepkg, upgradpkg, etc) is similar to dpkg in that you use it to install remove packages you have downloaded or built from source.

notthatguy wrote:I don't really want to compile stuff but I do not necessarily need sophisticated package management either. Something like dpkg is probably more than plenty although I would not object to something like apt as long as I can workaround the dependencies if I choose to do so. Something in between is fine and dandy.

Slackware uses the tried and tested system "slackbuilds". These are scripts which build the app from upstream source. I'd like to say they're as easy as shovelling shit (it is for me), but I suppose some will find it hard or complain that there's no dependency resolution, or that they shouldn't have to build from source.

All I can say is that I have no problem building from source, don't get my knickers in a twist over it and that with the tools available in distros like debian and Slackware, building from source is not really that difficult 95% of the time.
cynwulf

Postby Richard » July 11th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Richard

Postby notthatguy » July 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Richard wrote:https://www.archlinux.org/
Always sounds interesting and attractive...

That perfectly defines arch for me. It SOUNDS interesting and attractive but I often find things that are not attractive about it. And however interesting systemd may actually be, I am not keen on it. It is complex if nothing else. If they had not switched to systemd then I might would actually lean that way although I would probably build my system, get it to the way I like it, and then not upgrade anything for a long while. Then again, I would probably play with it endlessly and never be happy either... Once again, it sure sounds like it would be the perfect system for me but the time or two I have tried it I was not pleased. I would actually try it again but with systemd being default....not likely.
notthatguy

Next

Return to Technical Talk