another distro: dragora

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: another distro: dragora

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 4th, 2018, 2:31 am

nodir wrote:If it is about trying: would always be possible in a virtual machine.
Though from what i hear all the cool kids try containers these days. docker, huh?
OpenBSD is not VM-friendly. Far too much trouble to be worthwhile for me.

Speaking of FreeBSD: aren't all BSD's also lacking when it comes to hardware support, compared with the (huge) Linux kernel? And isn't that problem even worse for Solaris-based ones? Not too speak of the really obscure ones.
When speaking of hardware support it is not a matter of BSD has or does not has ... Each BSD has good support for different hardware. OpenBSD runs well on my fairy new hardware and the only problem I had with the last box, nVidea, was over-heating. (nVidea does not have great support on OpenBSD.) For obscure architectures the best best would probably be NetBSD. One of their goals is running on as many architectures as possible. Really, one has two options. Either use the BSD with the best support for one's hardware or buy hardware that is supported by one's chosen system.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 4th, 2018, 2:37 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I haven't tried Dragora on the metal (yet) but I would presume the situation is the same as with Debian — I just add the iwlwifi firmware files manually and the card works fine without the non-free packages that Debian supplies.

That assumes Dragora has the same level of commitment against proprietary software as Debian does. Debian's commitment is little more than lip service. Hence, the non-free repository. Apparently the installer now includes the option of enabling said repository during installation. If the Dragora team's belief in "libre" is more serious than Debian's installing and managing Dragora would be considerably different. I do not know, which is why I asked.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » November 4th, 2018, 10:30 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I haven't tried Dragora on the metal (yet) but I would presume the situation is the same as with Debian — I just add the iwlwifi firmware files manually and the card works fine without the non-free packages that Debian supplies.

That assumes Dragora has the same level of commitment against proprietary software as Debian does. Debian's commitment is little more than lip service. Hence, the non-free repository. Apparently the installer now includes the option of enabling said repository during installation. If the Dragora team's belief in "libre" is more serious than Debian's installing and managing Dragora would be considerably different. I do not know, which is why I asked.

I see.
As far i can tell: yes, the very few included do take it more serious than debian does.
The problem is there for each free distribution. Hence i am still wondering a bit about the question. Seems obvious what you run into if you use a free distribution. If you don't want that, then don't do it.

I am a lucky guy. I ain't got much problems with graphics or networking, as far the free part is concerned. Well: i am willing to give up things too ...
Not saying that is the way to go. Just that i am lucky.

"managing" dragora is very different, but also from other points of view. Besides the libre part, the KISS principle is another leading idea.
http://dragora.org/repo.fsl/doc/trunk/www/overview.md
nodir

Postby nodir » November 7th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Saying "back to topic! " would give me a boner ,but there doesn't seem to have been a topic before ...
Anyway: i am still working at recipes and the included problems. Besides that i am looking at kelsoos wm setup, which as of now is icewm with fittstool and xdotool.
build the deps for xournal, but now xournal fails to build. stay tuned !
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 7th, 2018, 4:29 pm

I have split the "offtopic" stuff into it's very own thread in the ongoing rip roaring adventure series...
cynwulf

Postby nodir » November 7th, 2018, 4:50 pm

That is nice. I thought about asking for it, but, as said, it is not there would be that much on-topic discussion anyway. So it didn't bug me that much.
xournal is killing me. manually: cd xournal-version, autogen.sh, make, make install installs fine (to /usr/local/bin ). From the recipe it builds and installs now, but no bin, only share, info, etc. Oh my, more digging in the dust. Beckett-like ....

PS: on day and a bit of dust later, Beckett was successful (kelsoo or someone else will still have to confirm what success really means ...) . Would i have read the instructions in the upper-case "install" file a little bit more carefully, i would have succeeded yesterday evening. Oh my ...
nodir

Previous

Return to Technical Talk