Petition, help improve "report bug".

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Petition, help improve "report bug".

Postby tele » June 25th, 2017, 6:22 pm

I don't have to much time to
- search appropriate "mailing list"
- fight with variable IP which is blocked by other person which used for send spam
for register on http://forums.debian.net

But if you can, if you like Debian, try help improve Debian ...
try improve website https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
is poor , not aesthetic, not obvious, not clear.

example
from there I know about 2 methods.

reportbug which not working very well ,
- maybe it's just a bug after updating stable, but after backing down inside "bug report" everything gets dark and nothing I can do. ( does not matter, maybe only I have this )
- report bug is only for packages and don't have links to other way get help.
- in most case "report bug" app not working ( firewall, disabled or not used own servers )
SMTP send failure: (550, b'No valid sender found in the From:, Sender: and Reply-to: headers

mailing lists - working, but also is not clear, what are sections ( I read , but I can't find )
- If you give too much information it is dangerous because your email is public. ( It can be used by thieves, fake people, spam bots )

And there does not exist any other help.
For beginner, this is a hard experience.

Write petition with date what we want do for people and developers , write if you agree
tele

Re: Petition, help improve "report bug".

Postby cynwulf » June 26th, 2017, 8:13 am

You've started this post with the declaration that you don't have the time to search a mailing list nor register at the other forum. So I'm not entirely sure what the aim of this is...?

Neither this forum, nor the other are "official channels". The other forum is much more active, but if you post this kind of thing over there, don't expect a warm reception.

If you want to contact the project directly you will have to use the mailing lists. If you want to influence the project, you will have to use the mailing lists and you will have to contribute something. e.g. if the website needs work, do you have the time and the skills to help with that? Are you a web developer or can you make real suggestions or viable recommendations? Petitions will be ignored.

But if you don't like the website, the bug reporting mechanisms or the mailing lists and don't want to "get involved", then your choices are simple - you can just put up with it or use something else which better suits your requirements and expectations.
cynwulf

Postby tele » June 26th, 2017, 2:51 pm

The other forum is much more active, but if you post this kind of thing over there, don't expect a warm reception.

This is true. But I tried do anything. :D
Maybe someone will read it and feel the same and can help Debian, this will good. If no one, life will go on.
tele

Postby jheaton5 » June 29th, 2017, 8:03 pm

+1
cynwulf wrote:You've started this post with the declaration that you don't have the time to search a mailing list nor register at the other forum. So I'm not entirely sure what the aim of this is...?

Neither this forum, nor the other are "official channels". The other forum is much more active, but if you post this kind of thing over there, don't expect a warm reception.

If you want to contact the project directly you will have to use the mailing lists. If you want to influence the project, you will have to use the mailing lists and you will have to contribute something. e.g. if the website needs work, do you have the time and the skills to help with that? Are you a web developer or can you make real suggestions or viable recommendations? Petitions will be ignored.

But if you don't like the website, the bug reporting mechanisms or the mailing lists and don't want to "get involved", then your choices are simple - you can just put up with it or use something else which better suits your requirements and expectations.
jheaton5

Return to Technical Talk